Trondheim & Rorvik Thursday 7 December 2017


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Trøndelag » Trondheim
December 7th 2017
Published: December 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Trondheim Thursday 7 December 2017



The program for the day was to stop at Trondheim from 6.00am to 12 MD. We first had breakfast – you name any food and it was available, including all different sorts of fish, fresh and dried, as well as traditional Aussie food.



Next was a walk into town to see the Nidaros Cathedral. We learned from Inger of the history of Trondheim. It’s another pretty town with canals and river as a vital part of life of the city. These waterways made for more spectacular views and reflections, with all the buildings covered with snow and Christmas decorations adding to the sparkle.



We walked around the town, remembering the Royal Reception building which is “probably” the largest wooden building in Europe. Unfortunately, it was closed during the winter, but Tom & I saw it is the summer of 2014. Sheryl went inside the cathedral while we had a coffee in the visitor’s centre.



Trondheim was Norway’s first capital. We saw storehouses built on wooden stilts on the riverbank. The architecture and surroundings in Trondheim create a beautiful and almost mythical setting for any outing. Originally this was an ancient place of execution, before becoming a Benedictine monastery around the year 1000. In 1658 it was made into a fortress and prison, and later a customs station. Fascinating history.



In the afternoon the ship set a northwest course, passing the beautiful Kjeungskjaer lighthouse and numerous charming islets and rocky outcrops. After passing through the narrow Stoksund, the ship arrives at charming Rorvik, all though we didn’t get off the ship to see it.



At about 2.30pm our head chef served taste samples of Norway’s blue mussels and told the story of one of the world’s most environment friendly food products. We went back for several servings, washed down with a crisp, white wine.



That afternoon we saw a film about the Lofoten Islands. This is not your typical cruise ship as it has no entertainment other than these little events to celebrate the local culture.


Additional photos below
Photos: 87, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.058s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb