Alesund - Wednesday  6 December 2017 


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Western Norway » Ålesund
December 6th 2017
Published: December 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Wednesday 6 December 2017 Alesund



We were told that Norway’s crowning glory is its fjord heartland, and that travellers are spellbound by soaring mountains, mystical forests stunning lakes and shimmering fjords. The coastline hides remote communities, fishing villages and quaint medieval towns.



They said a Hurtigruten voyage is the best way to experience authentic Norway. Sailing alongside the coastline, deep into the heart of Norway’s spectacular landscape and closer to the country’s people and wildlife, was fantastic. From the moment we stepped on board, we were treated to relaxing days, sublime cuisine and the warm company of like-minded adventurers.



In the morning we had the chance to enjoy the breathtaking beauty of the Nordfjord. As we sailed past the West Cape we experienced a rare venture into open sea. Then the ship navigated through skerries and islands before reaching Alesund.



Inger took us for a city walk through Alesund which was full of Christmas lights in the art deco painted buildings, most of which were built in 1905 after a major fire.



We kept warm whilst we walked around as we had plenty of layers on and thermals.



Even though Tom & I had been to the Alesund lookout, climbing up the 480 steps, we did it again this time viewing a snow-capped city. It was beautiful.



Back on board the ship, we enjoy a colourful and enlightening presentation about the Aurora Borealis. That gave us a taste of what was to come.



Next the ship docked into Molde for 30 minutes, long enough for us to hop off to look around this small town. At 10.00pm we arrived at Kristiansund but did not get off. It was in docks for 1 hour.



We were slowly getting to know everyone in our group of 22. We were of mixed ages, but everyone was from Australia. The age range was probably 18 – 80 or there abouts. About 30% were still working. Another big group on the ship were from Germany. Over the 7 days we were to see a lot of new faces as the Hurtigruten was a ferry and used as transport for Norwegians, up and down the coast.


Additional photos below
Photos: 45, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 13; qc: 31; dbt: 0.0699s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb