Another Instalment of: Last Day in.... Today's Episode - Oslo


Advertisement
Norway's flag
Europe » Norway » Eastern Norway » Oslo
April 8th 2015
Published: April 8th 2015
Edit Blog Post

DeepDeepDeep

Quote I snapped a pic of on our way out of the Armed Forces Museum.
The relaxed, easy-going atmosphere of the city shaped our last day here in Oslo. We planned to hit a couple things, but other than that, it was a chill day of walking around, soaking up the European waves.

We first walked a short distance back to the Nobel Peace Centre and payed our admission, which would prove to be 100% worth it.

Initially, I thought this was the place where the Nobel Prize winner is announced each year, however it was much more than that. Inside on the first level, was an exhibition designed by, and about the two winners in 2014, Malala and ___________. It took you through their lives, and their impact on the world, really inspiring you to do goodman the world whenever you can, no matter what your circumstance. There were video interviews with the Laureates, photographs taken by the official, appointed photographers for that year, and what really touched me was the display of Malala's uniform that she had worn that one awful day on the bus, the first time it had been shown to the public.

Upstairs, there were small exhibits of each of the previous winners, dating back to 2005 I
Cool SculptureCool SculptureCool Sculpture

The obelisk type sculpture in Gustav Vigeland Park.
believe, with a description on what they contributed to society, and how that mirrored the will written by Mr. Alfred Nobel, the founder of the 5 Nobel Prizes.

A little back story on Alfred Nobel for those of you who don't know... He spend most of his life devoted to creating and developing the modern dynamite, which somehow seems ironic that he also created the peace prize. However, he strived to make dynamite as safe as possible after accidentally killing his brother in an experiment. In his will, he wrote that all of his fortune and properties and factories be sold and deposited into a bank in Sweden, and that every year, a chunk of that sum and the interest it collects will be given to a winner/winners in the 5 categories we now know as the Nobel Prizes. After some time that I can't remember but that is quite recent, the funds had reached a sum in excess of 450 million USD!!

So anyways, upstairs was also a room of tablets that lit up (and played a note on top if the soothing drone that was playing in the room, I'll have to show the video I took on my camera when I get back) and showed quotes from a bunch of different winners.

Ok, enough about the centre cause that was only 1 place we visited.

After a kebab break (cause apparently they're hugely popular here, like a shop every block at least!) we went back to the hostel to peel off a layer of clothes; it was 13C and sunny, first day in a loooong time I haven't worn a coat!

When visiting the fortress the day before, we noticed that there was a Norwegian Armed Forces Museum that was free to the public, so that was our next official stop. It was pretty cool, but all in Norwegian, so good thing we didn't have to pay to get in 😉 There was an exhibit on the Norwegian presence in Afghanistan on the main level and then a really cool exhibit from the 1300s-1700s on the next floor up. There was a bunch of really old swords, canons, muskets, and even some kettle drums used by the forces to give orders and keep tempo.. Interesting to me as a percussionist !

The ground floor on the other side of the entrance had more modern guns, a full sized, retired tank that you could sit in, and part of a naval ship that was also accessible. It was really interesting to see the progression of equipment used throughout the centuries, and it was free!!

A lad came and found us to kick us out at closing and then we headed back to the Opera House, a whole attraction on its own!

I think I have a picture on my phone, but if not, Google image search again and check it out. It has multi-levels on the outside that you can walk up and eventually end up on the roof with a spectacular view of the city and surrounding body of water. However, we were semi-distracted by what looked like a national football (soccer ?) team photo shoot on the roof in front of the flapping national flag.

The last thing I wanted to check out before the sun set, was the Vigeland Sculpture Park. The park contains 26 acres of land scattered with works exclusively sculpted by Gustav Vigeland, the most impressive being a tall obelisk-like figure at the top of the hill made up of a bunch of people of all kinds reaching and climbing their way to the top. It was really really interesting to look at and try to think of what it represents. Very modern for a dude who died 72 years ago.

The long walk back was interrupted by a stop at the grocery store to grab some cheap supplies for dinner because some idiot stole my dinner and breakfast for the next day out of the fridge at the hostel!! ? Who steals hot dogs, bananas and half a bag of frozen peas, like seriously people! Oh well, these things will happen.

Therefore, I ended up grabbing a head of broccoli that was on sale and a package of salami that I threw on a sandwich with some cheese. I fried the broccoli up with some balsamic vinegar and soy sauce (look at me Mum!) and it made a good side, and some green veggies.

No money left for Norway so we just hung out in the room with our new friend Peter from Ireland and another random lad who didn't like to talk, and then hit the hay for an early train departure this morning.

- NB


Advertisement



Tot: 0.162s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 6; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1313s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb