Waterbus to Rotterdam


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
July 14th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 51.9226, 4.47075

Another full day today exploring the city of Rotterdam. Rather than drive into the city, we parked near home in Hendrik Ido Ambacht and boarded a waterbus. The waterbus isn't perhaps as true to its name as todays evening activity, but more on that later. Rather, its a ferry, and a different hassle free method of transport into Rotterdam. Like so many times before, we picked up a city discount pass; The Rotterdam Card. This was similar to Stockholm or Copenhagen in that it offered free public transport. It was cheaper than other cards, but rather than offer free accommodation to tourist attractions it gave discounts.
A short metro ride from the Tourist Information Stand to Blaak station and we were at the Kubus Woningen homes. Designed by Dutch Architect Piet Blom, these are homes and hostel rooms in the shape of cubes. One of such, is open for display. Its certainly a strange feel to the rooms, and does throw out perception and balance to some.
From here, a walk around the Old Port, past the former tallest building in Europe and through the markets, stopping to eat ham and cheese sandwiches. Jan even bought us a little pair of painted Dutch clogs. We took a train to the Central Station and then Tram towards the gardens and Euromast Tower. The tower stands at 184metres, and offers great views of the city. We headed to the top and enjoyed the city from the rotating and rising observation deck.
Back on the ground, Jan and Lina had a surprise for us. Earlier we caught a waterbus ferry. This next attraction was more deserving of that name. It was a yellow bus, that literally drove into the canal, and became a boat! This was a fun, enjoyable and different way to see the city. We drove around for a time, before making the plunge. We found a ramp, and drove into the waves! The tour lasted an hour before we were back where we started.
We had a bit of a walk through the city back to the water ferry. On the way we passed the port where my oma and opa (grandparents) emmigrated to Australia with my dad over 50 years ago. The waterbus had us back at the car before long and home to a delicious enchilada dinner. Lekker (delicious) is becoming my most useful Dutch word.
After dinner Nat, Jan and I squared off in a traditional Dutch game of Sjoelen, or Shuffleboard. It basically involves sliding pebbles of wood, down an alley aiming for slots of different point value. Nat showed the men how its done, notching heaps of 4 pointers (max value) to claim victory. We stayed up late chatting to Lina about my family history and enjoying a glass of Hertog-Jan, a Dutch beer from Arcen.
Tomorrow we've decided to go for a bike ride and explore my family roots and history.


Additional photos below
Photos: 29, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.107s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0873s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 3; ; mem: 1.1mb