Breda and Amsterdam!


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
September 29th 2008
Published: September 29th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Hello again friends and family!
Yesterday I got back from Breda and Amsterdam and it was WONDERFUL.
Kelsey, Theresa and I left Well on Friday around 3. Took a bus to Venlo and a train from Venlo to Breda where Kelsey's family friend Jan (pronounced Yawn) picked us up. He took us to his home which was a little outside of Breda and was absolutely beautiful! We met his wife and two teenage daughters, and everyone was so RIDICULOUSLY nice and hospitable. They made us dinner and then helped us figure out the train schedule to Amsterdam and helped us buy tickets to the Anne Frank House and Van Gogh museum online.

The next morning the three of us got up early, got ready and had Jan drop us off at the train station. After a little less than two hours, we arrived in Amsterdam around 11am. After wandering around, buying a map of the city and trying to find the "center" of the city, we decided to go on a canal tour of the city. GOOOD IDEA. It was pretty cheap (8 euro!) for an hour long ride which gave us a great view of the city, especially the architecture of the houses. After that we got some lunch at the Three Sisters Pub and people watched a bit. Then we headed off to the Van Gogh museum. This was rather difficult, because the map wasn't very clear and didn't seem to match up with the actual streets. We had to ask a lot of people and take a tram and walk some more but we got there eventually! Since we already bought our tickets, we got to pass the line and go straight in! It was a wonderful experience, and I got to see my art history lessons at work.

Then we took the bus to the Anne Frank House and again because we bought tickets online got to go straight in. The house was a humbling and eye opening experience. The rooms were so small, and in Anne's room there is the wallpaper which she decorated with pictures from various magazines. Just very moving.

THHEEEENNN we went to the Red Light district. Which was another, totally different, eye opening experience. Not only am I pretty sure all three of us got contact highs from the insane amount of pot being smoked everywhere, there were literally prostitutes in the windows, just chilling out, reading and talking to each other. We didn't stay too long.

I know it doesn't really sound like it, but it was a very full day and I am so glad we got to go! We went back to Breda and Jan picked us up again. The next morning we had brunch with the family, some interesting political discussions and watched some Dutch TV. Perfect. Packed our bags and came back home to a castle. A wonderful weekend.

This week is a busy one, but we have PARIS to look forward to! Until then...

Peace and love.

PS. The first night we were at Jan's we watched a Dutch concert and it was HYSTERICAL. Kelsey took a video of Theresa and I dancing and I find it rather funny. If you want to see it go here




Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



5th October 2008

I MISS YOU
COME HOME. No, just kidding. But I want to talk to you on Skype, so this week, I'm going to try to stay signed on whenever I'm at my computer, k? :]
6th October 2008

Amsterdam Adventure
Hey Alysia! Thank you for the wonderful postcard. I loved it and loved hearing from you. I am enjoying your blog and am so excited for you. What an incredible experience! It was fun to remember my trip to Amsterdam. I had to choose between Anne Frank's home and the Van Gough museum. I chose the later and hope to see Anne Frank's home another time. We did the Red Light District too! Try doing it with your mother-in-law. That was a little odd. Keep having fun. Do and see as much as you can. You will never regret it. Loads of Love, Gayle

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.031s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb