Arcen and Nijmegen


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
September 21st 2008
Published: September 21st 2008
Edit Blog Post

In VenloIn VenloIn Venlo

From Thursday night in Venlo
Hello everyone! Wanted to share the rest of my weekend.

On Friday I had make up classes in the morning, so we didn't go anywhere until around 3. We caught a bus to a town we had passed on our way to Venlo the day before called Arcen. Arcen is a small adorable town that just looks very Dutch. We stopped at a Bakerij, walked about, saw some fun shops, looked at the waterfront and overall frolicked about. Then we decided to go back to Venlo for dinner. While waiting for the bus we saw a sign for a castle and decided to explore there. It was very beautiful with a large garden area and giant coy in the moat!

Went back, caught a bus, and arrived in Venlo only to realize that Thursday was when everything was open "late." It was around 6, maybe, and all of the shops were already closed. So after wandering around trying to find a restaurant we went to a wonderful Italian restaurant. And that was that night.

On Saturday we got up early-ish, went to the local bakerij for breakfast, got Strippen Kaart (bus pass) and hopped a bus for Nijmegen, about an hour away from us. This is the oldest town in the Netherlands, but not all of it looks that way. After we got off the bus and got a map and some tourist pamphlets we got walking. On our way to nowhere in particular we say the top of a Cathedral that was breathtaking and decided to head towards that. We stopped at an old book store and a marvelous hat shop.

We found the Cathedral entrance hidden in between two large stores. The Cathedral was just as beautiful inside as it was outside, and different then most I've seen. It had been partly destroyed in WWII, so parts of it were new. There was a GIANT pipe organ, wooden ceiling and tombs. Little chilling.

After the Cathedral we stumbled upon a giant open air market. We got lunch and I bought a watch (bright orange with fruit on it that glows in the dark! It's perfect.) We continued through the market, and then went in search of some ruins that sounded interesting from our tourist info. I'm not sure if we found "the" ruins, but we found some ruins that were just as good. They lead us to a bridge, a castle turned into restaurant with a view of an elaborate flower display below the castle, a beauiful park and another ruin/castle.

After that long walk we found a place to eat, had some delicious sandwiches, wandered more, got on the bus and headed home. It was a wonderful full day.

Today we were all tired and decided to stay in the castle for today and work on homework. All in all I'd say it was an amazing first weekend! This week will be busy but then this weekend Theresa, Kelsey and I are headed to Kelsey's friend Yawn (I know that's not how it's spelled, but that's how it sounds!) for a home-stay sort of a deal. Until then!

Peace and Love.


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



22nd September 2008

I hope dutch cola (or soda for all your east coast friends) makes me crazy too! I can hardly wait to frolick around the kasteel!! I soooo essited!! Luv you lots!

Tot: 0.368s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 7; qc: 49; dbt: 0.1004s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb