Giethoorn- Little Venice


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
July 23rd 2007
Published: August 5th 2007
Edit Blog Post

Saturday

The weather had cleared up and the sun showed its face again. It was an easy day of shopping, relaxing at the lake again for a few hours, and enjoying another of Berry's wonderful meals at Wim's house. In the evening we biked the few miles to Berry's sister, Gretha, for a visit. It was a real pleasure to meet her and her friend who happened to be visiting with her two dachshunds. Berry's sister was very welcoming and made me feel right at home. She and her friend are also quite the characters. The evening discussion mostly centered around the success, or lack of success, they had with internet dating. They were a hoot! I had a great time. Afterwards, the three of us mounted our bikes and rode off into the night to return home.

Sunday

We hopped in the car to visit the Little Venice (every country seems to have one of these) of The Netherlands, Giethoorn. Originally it was a farming community. Today the homes have been restored and used mostly as summer getaways. The last time I was here was with my friend Clay in the winter of 2002 when Wim and Berry took us. The boat rentals were closed for the season and we walked around in the bitter cold. I remember my ears were freezing.

This visit was very different. The day started off perfect, but dark gray clouds were looming in the distance. The first thing we did when we arrived was rent an electric-motorized boat for the hour trip around the village. Berry was at the helm because there was no way I was going to navigate a boat down these tiny canals with other boats in the water. And he did a great job.

But, after fewer than 15 minutes quietly making our way down the canal, the rain started, and it poured. Berry pulled over and we sat under our seemingly under-sized umbrellas waiting for it to let up. Other boaters bravely pressed on as we sat on the side. I stupidly left my jacket in the car, so not only was I getting my as*** wet from the rain on the seat but I was freezing as well. In time the rain turned to a drizzle and then stopped. We pressed on admirering the canal houses and gardens.

At one point we reach the end of the village and the landscape opens up to cow pastures and wild reed grasses rustling under the warm sun. Eventually the canal leads to a big lake. It's then that I notice that we don't have any life perservers on board. No problem. The water's not that deep... they claim. Not worried, we travel to the end of the lake and reenter the canal system. Soon we're back where we started. We end the trip with Patates, Fench Fries, and head home.


Additional photos below
Photos: 33, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.137s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 52; dbt: 0.064s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb