On the ship


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands
August 31st 2016
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 52.3738, 4.89095

Got up and headed out to the Ann Frank house. If you remember your history, she was a Jewish girl who kept a diary of her experience hiding with her family in a secret annex during WWII. She and her family and another family lived for 2 years in hiding in a series of small rooms from the Germans. Eventually they were discovered and only one of the people survived the concentration camps after the war. I believe it is the most read book of the 20th century. It is a very humbling experience to see how they had to live just because of their religion. We decided to go on another canal boat tour after that. Then lunch. We then decided to go to the Van Gough Museum. We had to walk about a half mile and catch a tram down to the museum. According to our canal boat guide, there are 800,000 people and 1.5 million bicycles in Amsterdam. You have to watch out every time you want to cross a street. Bicycles are coming from every direction. We only saw 1 accident during the 3 days that we were there. After we got back from the tram, we stopped in a sidewalk bar for a beer and watched the people heading home from work. There is a 4 story bicycle garage near the train station. It is packed with bikes. People take the train into Amsterdam and get on their bike, head to work, return to the garage and then head home. A little dinner and a little packing and it was bed time. We got up, had breakfast, did a load of laundry and headed back to our hotel. We checked out, got a cab and headed out toward the train station to find our cruise ship. The cab let us out at the wrong end of the station and we had to walk about a half mile with our luggage to get to our ship. So far the service has been excellent. Our room is very nice. The food is excellent. Tomorrow we go on our first excursion.


Additional photos below
Photos: 9, Displayed: 9


Advertisement



31st August 2016

Hi Stacy and Bob,Great photos and very heart-filled story about Ann Frank. You are taking it all in, which is great to hear. Sorry to hear about the long walks with luggage. The ship looks pretty nice. Is it pretty big? Did not see what it
looks like from outside. Have fun on your cruise. Keep sening photos, we enjoy looking at them.Hugs, Linda and Joe
31st August 2016

Love the pictures. I admit I have never read Ann Frank. You just gave me motivation. Can't wait to see whats next.
1st September 2016

So sad that so many have been killed in the name of religion!
1st September 2016

Nice!
1st September 2016

They are probably a lot healthier than we are....
1st September 2016

Yes it is!
1st September 2016

Looks like a good size room!
2nd September 2016

It looks so peaceful.
2nd September 2016

If you say so, lol.
6th September 2016

Stick that in your back-pack and bring it home for Kayla.

Tot: 0.065s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0448s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb