Crusing along the Binnendieze


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » North Brabant » Den Bosch
August 21st 2009
Published: August 20th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Saturday 18 April, 2009 I take dad and Liz to ‘s-Hertogenbosch. The main attraction here, as I’m told by Miep - is the Binnendieze boat touring - which is the only place in the Netherlands which you can do boat touring under canals. That’s right people we went under the city, sailing over age old waterway, cruising past old buildings with their remarkable “twin gables”.

The area of ‘s-Hertongenbosch is about 1 and a half hours south by train from Amsterdam. The area was populated around 1150. A fortification was built around the wall in 1185 to protect the city from enemy attacks. In the 14th century the second city wall was built and meant that the river branches were now in closed in the city centre. The little waterways were called the Binnendieze.

Me and dad got into the city and after me arguing with the lady in charge - we managed to secure a good booking aboard the most interesting of the three canal cruises - the historish cruise. This one goes on the most scenic tour of the city and under the deepest of canals. We sailed under an original gothic convent church, built in 1533. There were all these bats deep under the canals and in some places our boat driver had to use a flash light. It was pretty cool.

For lunch we went to the markets and also checked out the city church. Lunch was late but well deserved in the park. I managed to score a Frisbee off the girls that were giving away Milka chocolate - hot damn.
We ended up heading home in the evening and me and Liz the Krunch ended up going for a bike ride and taking some more good old action shots along the way



Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.081s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 12; qc: 32; dbt: 0.038s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb