European Contrasts - Arnhem


Advertisement
Netherlands' flag
Europe » Netherlands » Gelderland » Arnhem
November 2nd 2008
Published: November 4th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Old on One Side, New on OtherOld on One Side, New on OtherOld on One Side, New on Other

Shopping District leading towards the cathedral on the back right, and Devil's house straight ahead, and police station back left. Shops of older style on right side of street, shops of newer style on left side.
Hello everyone!

Since you all begged for information, and more particularly, photos! I have decided to post specific topics at a time, and mix the photos up as much as I can so as to annoy you all back home thoroughly! I want to start off with a topic that came to mind the very first moment I stepped into Arnhem.

European Contrasts - Arnhem



A contrast by definition is a thing that is strikingly dissimilar to another. When I first stepped off the train into Arnhem, I was overwhelmed at all the contrasts. Contrasts not only between things in the US versus Europe, but also the things on one side of the street, and the things on the other.

Arnhem is an ancient city located in the Gelderland state of the Netherlands. It is a cramped city, where the only space between buildings are the streets and the occasional alley way. At 38 square miles in size, it is roughly the size of Grand Rapids, MI, both in land and population. Unlike most places in the United States, you most likely have to walk a quarter mile at the very very most to reach your
Bartering Bazaar Below the BellsBartering Bazaar Below the BellsBartering Bazaar Below the Bells

Weekly Market in the City Square directly below the main Church of Arnhem. Which to my correction, is indeed a church and NOT a cathedral... Apparently Europeans have a different perspective on size.
intended destination within Arnhem, due to it's very efficient public transportation system. The electric trolleybus system used is especially unique, no other city in the Netherlands has such a system. There is a bus stop on every block and the trolleybuses have their own specific lanes throughout the city. I have used them every single day since I arrived and I simply love them, they are fast, easy to understand, and very comfortable. (Assuming there is room to sit down) Another thing I see in Arnhem which is not in the United States, is the sidewalks being wider and split in half, the red brick side for bikes and motorbikes, the gray brick side for walkers.

Arnhem is also considered the number one place to shop in all the Netherlands. I estimate at least 1000 various shops, malls, and warehouse stores cover this "artistically stacked", as Mirjam calls it, city. In Michigan for example, you would have to drive an average of 20-30 miles to reach even a third the variety of places to shop in Arnhem. It is a particularly convenient place for me to shop for clothing. Since the average dutch man is two meters in height, which is
In with the Old, in with the... New?In with the Old, in with the... New?In with the Old, in with the... New?

17th Century house on right, now a town bar. Modern office building straight ahead and behind it.
six feet two inches, all the generic sized clothing fits me very well.

Because of how old the city of Arnhem is, it being officially established in the early 12th century, the varety of architecture within the city is enormous. The shopping district alone contains buildings from the 14th to the 21st century, buildings of that gap sitting right next to each other I might add. The oldest building I have seen so far is called Devil's Gate by the locals. It is the last city gate from the Medieval era, and all the buildings surrounding it are modern office buildings of the 20th century. I took many photos where I believe the contrast is extremely obvious, and quite attractive.

I hope everyone enjoyed this article, more will come soon on specific structures in Arnhem and other places in the Netherlands. Keep watching!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

None may pass this gate... unless they be on foot or bike!None may pass this gate... unless they be on foot or bike!
None may pass this gate... unless they be on foot or bike!

The last standing gate in Arnhem, which was first built in the 12th century and was renovated in the 16th century. The wall it was attached to on either side has been replaced with modern office buildings and shops.
History, Art, and Business... All within a dozen square meters!History, Art, and Business... All within a dozen square meters!
History, Art, and Business... All within a dozen square meters!

Opposite side of the gate, office buildings on both sides. Contemporary art in the square next to the street.
Down the Stairs by the River.Down the Stairs by the River.
Down the Stairs by the River.

16th Century river wall with modern art and office building above on the right and left.
A Roundabout Way of Seeing ArnhemA Roundabout Way of Seeing Arnhem
A Roundabout Way of Seeing Arnhem

A circular street square near the center of Arnhem, surrounded by both contemporary office buildings and older style churches and buildings of varying eras.


4th November 2008

WOW!!
Great article honey!! Looks like a wonderful place for me to visit, and it sounds like you are having a great time. I am so pleased!! Well, I look forward to seeing more pictures and I hope you can get some of you and Mirjam together so I know that you are really there!! LOL I am glad your indigestion is over with. It's because your stomach is getting more than chicken. LOL
4th November 2008

yay
YAY PICTURES lol but none of you a mirjam :( awww
5th November 2008

HAHA
I agree with Mom, Jon! =D I'm glad to see you are having a blast!! Keep snapping those pictures, and I can't wait until you come home so I can hear more about your trip! <3 you!
8th November 2008

Thanks for keeping in touch, Jon! Looks like you're having a grand adventure. Be safe! LCB

Tot: 0.109s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 56; dbt: 0.062s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb