Day 16 - Kotor and its "Stari Grad"


Advertisement
Europe » Montenegro » Kotor
June 9th 2015
Published: March 28th 2016
Edit Blog Post

After a full-energy breakfast on the terrace, we took the bus towards Kotor. Our accommodation called “Markovic Appartmenti”, was a bit outside Kotor; a twenty-minute-walk or five minutes by taxi (which is really cheap!) Our hosts welcomed us with the local after-dinner liqueur: “Rakije”.



They were extremely friendly and welcoming. Even though they could barely speak English, we could understand each other well and had an amazing feeling of being home.



In the afternoon, we walked to the “Stari Grad”, which means “old town” surrounded by a high wall. Big mistake, we ate first and then climbed the fortress and its 240 meters high stairs. It was about 2 p.m., under the sun, I guess you can imagine how much we perspired while walking up. We noticed it was definitely worth the effort once at the top, marvelling at the absolutely stunning view over Kotor. They had built it as a protection against Turkish invaders.



That evening, we admired a huge storm with incredible flashes of lightning. We felt very small, watching Nature showing its strength.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement



Tot: 0.075s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0499s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb