MONACO


Advertisement
Monaco's flag
Europe » Monaco
April 20th 2007
Published: August 10th 2007
Edit Blog Post

MonacoMonacoMonaco

Monte Carlo reflected from the casino front doors, as close as we dared go.
MONACO
2 sq klms with a castle on 1 hill, casino on the other, and in between, lots of expensive toys - real estate, cars, boats etc. Ferraris, Porsches, Mercs, BMW, and Echos.
On hearing we were coming to Monaco, we received an audience personally from Alby, Carol and Steph, but unfortunately our tight schedule didn't allow us the time to call in. We did offer the royal clan the invitation to spend a night with us in Nice but we haven't heard anything back yet. Judging by the abject poverty on display in their nation it's possible the family is a bit cash strapped and couldn't afford the tariff at our backpackers hostel. Maybe next time.
We did have the chance to call up to the palace for a quick half hour to view the changing of the guards. Lots of spit and polish mixed with a deal of formality and pomp. I was wondering how these pristine guards would fare in the trenches firing those superbly polished rifles in anger. Then again in the unlikely event of Monaco being involved in any armed conflict, they could simply go out and hire the most elite mercenaries euros can buy.
We
MonacoMonacoMonaco

Palace guards at the changing. Just don't let off any bungers, they'll scatter in all directions.
didn't actually venture inside the casino as I figured the gatekeepers of this fine establishment were adept at spotting 2 tight bummed non gambling freeloaders. We did manage to sqeeze out a few hours in it's carpark - there isn't a free car spot in the entire country, a luxury only this principality and the Vatican can claim.
So France has drawn to a close for a number of months as we plunge towards Italy. It's easy to find us at the moment. Just follow the scratch marks in the ground leading towards the Italian border as we are dragged reluctantly out of France. We have loved it, loved it, loved it. However, the show must go on and Italy presents a whole new set of unknowns, primarily the linguistic challenge, I hope the Italians are ready for Yeatesy's patented verson of Sprenchlish - a little bitta this and a little bitta that. Fingers crossed, here we come.
YEATESY

MONACO
Pepe was feeling a bit intimidated in Monaco with plenty of showy Ferraris lead footing through the streets. It probably didn't help his image that he was covered in the remnants of being parked the previous days under a
MonacoMonacoMonaco

Dingies parked in the harbour.
bird infested tree. Gary said he could have given the Ferraris a run for their money if he had the Echo with us.
Whatever you might think of this place, and no matter how many times you visit, it is mind alteringly spectacular and obscene at the sane time. The glitter, overt displays of wealth and all it's trimmings are an assault on the visual sense at least. Not too many human resources consultants or firemen amongst the latte set here.
Penny

More images at:

www.colvinyeates.zenfolio.com


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

MonacoMonaco
Monaco

Local version of the 2 door Echo.


Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0349s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb