Popeye!


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta
February 7th 2013
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.96, 14.36

Today we headed to Popeye Village. This turned out to be quite a surreal experience! We walked to the beach then took a minibus for 1 euro. The village is quite an amazing sight, very Disneyesque! Off season, it is desperate for visitors. There is no hiding from the company drained cast members! We even got roped into starring in our own film. Bill was a natural in his role as a pirate! Isaac made a very convincing 'screaming Sweet Pea!' Still not all that sure what I was! The cast members who played Popeye (based on the Robin Williams version rather than the cartoon) and Olive Oil were very much in love which must make the job easier! The off season nature of the village was very much emphasised by 'Santa's Village!' Needless to say, the boat trip was not operational! I must get round to watching the film of 'Popeye.' It's a big thing for Malta!!

We were very close to a nature reserve but I wouldn't let Bill trek to the Red Fort with baby in tow! We went on a nice walk along the cliff tops, admiring the cactuses and flowers. It was a tough walk up the hill road to get back to the hotel but the giant cookie made it worth it! Our room had a very nifty kitchen that we used to cook our meal - a much cheaper option. Meals out cost on average 15 euros a head. That was until we discovered the Patizzeria - wonderfully tasty, cheap snacks such as the Qassandra. The local Red Label wine was very cheap and very palatable to our uneducated tastes!



Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement



Tot: 0.053s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0221s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb