Malta's Hub


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta
February 6th 2013
Published: July 5th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 35.91, 14.52

After our buffet breakfast, we walked down the hill to the beach. Evidently there are lots of good tours and excursions from here but unfortunately none that were open in February! It wasn't a pleasant walk, walking along the thin pavement, inches away from the speeding traffic fumes as they whizzed down the bends.
We caught bus 37 to Valletta, knowing this was the main destination in Malta. Our first Maltese bus journey seemed to take forever! Turns out Bus 37 is to be avoided due to its 'scenic' route! Once we'd walked past the drilling of the renovation works, Valletta was stunning and retains a timeless atmosphere. Every street is as beautiful as the last. We walked to the Lower Barrakka Gardens for a gorgeous view, then up the steps of the tranquil Baroque streets to the best view in town at the Upper Barrakka Gardens. We were perfectly contented wandering the quaint, narrow side streets, an intriguing historical site around every corner: shrines, fountains, parapets, tiny shops and cafes. Isaac was more than happy smiling away at everyone as they walked past. He caused quite a stir and meant we met lots of people! The vast majority of whom were retired British couples escaping the British winter! It was lovely to see the sun but unfortunately not hot enough for swimming! I was actually allowed to sit and have a beer in the Upper Barrakka Gardens. Drinks in cafes were very reasonably priced in Malta. Less than 2euros for a local Cisk beer. We made the mistake of taking bus 37 back to the hotel during the rush hour. Not an enjoyable journey! We were already fed up of bus journeys. However, we ended up using them a lot more than what we thought we would. For 2.60 euros for a day ticket, you can't really go wrong!



Additional photos below
Photos: 27, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.194s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0493s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb