An anniversary celebration in Valletta, Malta


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta
September 20th 2022
Published: September 20th 2022
Edit Blog Post

Valletta is an impressive city of lovely pale sandstone which has been quarried on the island for centuries. Due to its strategic position in the Med, it has been invaded and taken over many times from the early Phoenicians to Napolean's army. Eventually the Brits chucked the French out at the Maltese request, and it became independent in 1964. They still drive on the left and all speak English, though Maltese is a strange language of Arabic origin. They are of course proud of the fact that King George bestowed the George Cross on the island for the gallantry of the whole population during the 2nd world war. We stayed at the Domus Zamittello which is a lovely family-owned palazzo on the main Republic Street. The taxi driver dropped us off at the main square and walked us down to the hotel. Valletta is all hills so expect to walk up and down and use lots of steps. Even in the hotel there are steps up and down even in the room! However, it has a lounge and his and hers bathroom as well as a huge double bed. The only disadvantage is there is no bar in the hotel. However, there are loads of bars and restaurants as soon as you walk out the door and there is a minibar and tea and coffee in the room. We took a stroll around and had dinner at the first of many nice restaurants, you are spoilt for choice. Everyone is friendly and they obviously do not have the labour shortages we have in hospitality in the UK at the moment. The atmosphere is relaxed even on Sunday. Everyone in shorts, some of whom shouldn't be and others who would be arrested in another country! On our first full day we took an open top bus. We thought that this would do a city tour whereas it took 4 hours all around the South of the island. Many times, the driver was held up by elderly Maltese ladies who wanted to be in Valletta earlier and gave him a lot of grief! We only got off once in the fishing village of Marsaxlokk where most of Malta's fish comes from and the fishing boats are painted in pretty colours. On day 2 we took the little train which is in fact the best way to see the town and should be the first thing you do when you get here, just to get orientated. It leaves St John's square starting at 10am on the hour every hour. The other must to see is St. John's Cathedral which houses the two famous Caravaggio paintings. An extensive audio guide is included in the entrance fee.


Additional photos below
Photos: 21, Displayed: 21


Advertisement



Tot: 0.068s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 10; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0249s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb