Day 20: Malta Temple Day!


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta
October 13th 2017
Published: October 14th 2017
Edit Blog Post

The mamas went off to Birgu (a short ferry across the bay from Valletta) and T and I headed out early to visit some megalithic temple complexes on the south side of Malta (sounds far, but wasn’t - about a 30 minute bus ride). Ħaġar Qim and Mnajdra temples were built starting in 3600 BC (that’s BEFORE COMMON ERA folks!!!) Older than olden times, even. Older than the great pyramid. Older than Stonehenge. Like, super, super old. Wow!

We were rewarded for our early morning arrival by having the place almost to ourselves which was probably a good thing because I full-on nerded out while I was there. “T!!! They used to have dwarf elephants here!”...DWARF ELEPHANTS! Sweet jeebus, that is cool.

After the temples, we took in an entertaining movie that had animations to show what the temples would have looked like when they were completed. The site also had an excellent small museum that explained how the temples were likely constructed. After that, since the next bus wasn’t scheduled for another hour, we grabbed a snack and chilled for a bit. By the time we left the parking lot of the temple site it was filled with tour buses and the place was over run by tours. Out in the nick of time.

Once we got back to Valletta, still high on all things ancient, I enthusiastically visited the National Museum of Archeology to learn even more about the various Neolithic ruins on the island. The museum was great and focussed on Malta’s Neolithic, Bronze Age and Phoenician periods. Loved it. I’m going to bore allll my friends with this new info...”During the Bronze Age.....”

Later, for our last night on Malta (and of our trip) Ma and I went for supper while T and ma tante packed to get ready to leave. We ended the evening with a stroll to the upper Barrakka gardens - a nice way to end to our mama-daughter trip!

We’ve got a agonizingly early pick up time for our flight (4:40am urgh) and a long trek home (it will be 8pm EST when we land, but will *feel* like 2am for us due to the time change). I’m already looking forward to doing absolutely nothing when I’m back. Brace yourself, Netflix, me and you is stayin’ in bed for an entire day.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement

Malta’s sodaMalta’s soda
Malta’s soda

It was gross - like carbonated Buckley’s cough syrup


Tot: 0.259s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 50; dbt: 0.0666s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb