Marsaxlokk


Advertisement
Malta's flag
Europe » Malta » Malta » Marsaxlokk
October 6th 2017
Published: October 7th 2017
Edit Blog Post

A fishing village on the south east of the island. Another couple of buses...& yes they were still having problems. We made it around midday. The drive through town centres in the middle of the island provided an insight to the real island life away from the tourist areas. Dry fields marked out with stacked limestone rocks, olive trees, grapes, fig trees.
Very dry & quite red soil.

Beautiful sunny day by the water that we needed to seek shelter under the market umbrellas. Many tourists still coming in 'on tour' & the seaside restaurants were doing well selling local produce from the sea. The local fishing boats called 'luzzu' all dotted around the bay making the harbour picturesque in colour. Marsaxlokk name comes from marsa, which means "port" and xlokk, which is the local name for south east. The word is related to the name for the dry sirocco wind that blows from the Sahara.

We had the right bus number sorted for our ride home...on the bus, scan the ticket cards, take a seat, chatting while we wait for the bus to leave, bus driver after 5 mins says not this bus get on the one in front it's going now, off we get, on the other bus, scan the ticket cards, the driver says he leaves in 20 mins but the bus behind leaves now, we say that driver told us to get off, bus driver gets off & goes to talk to the bus driver behind, a little chat, driver waves us back onto the original bus, don't scan the ticket cards, take a seat, the bus that leaves in 20mins drives off!, we chatting, wait 15mins, bus leaves.... Were they just playing games with us or did they really not know??
We made it home....late lunch. Bian's got a delicious toasted wrap recipe down pat, salami, cheese, tomatoes, capsicum, topped with some lettuce & pesto.

Another great evening over a lovely home cooked meal & some nice wine!


Additional photos below
Photos: 10, Displayed: 10


Advertisement



Tot: 0.408s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 53; dbt: 0.1485s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb