Vaduz Liechtenstein 2 Aug 2013


Advertisement
Liechtenstein's flag
Europe » Liechtenstein » Vaduz
August 3rd 2013
Published: August 9th 2013
Edit Blog Post

Vaduz Liechtenstein 2 Aug 2013

After driving through more mountainous country and through many, many, tunnels in Austria from Imst, including the Strenger Tunnel which was 15 kms long, we arrived at Vaduz which is the capital of a little country of 160 square kms, Liechtenstein – and not a metre longer!!! Its population is about 36,000.

Vaduz is the residence of the Princely family and seat of Government. Liechtenstein is covered with mountains and valleys. We found the people really friendly and helpful. We visited the Information Centre who gave us all the info on the country.

There is a castle up on the hill and we learned that it was the best restored castle in all of Europe and is owned by the Princely Family. Prince Alois is the reigning monarch today. Unfortunately for us, it is now a private Castle and not opened to the public. However we drove up to the Castle and parked under some big trees to have lunch. We viewed the Castle from its back yard and above it. We also had a lovely view of Daduz.

Vaduz as a city was fresh, very well maintained buildings, mixing old and new, with a walking mall in the centre. The central church and the main Government building and museum were very front and centre.

The people of Liechtenstein love their Royal Family and love being residents of this small country – who associates itself with Switzerland rather than any of the Euro currency countries, even though they are part of the EU…..an interesting mix of independent thinking by the Liechtensteinians!

We now headed for Switzerland.


Additional photos below
Photos: 11, Displayed: 11


Advertisement



Tot: 0.064s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 12; qc: 24; dbt: 0.0447s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb