Roma Centrale


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 9th 2017
Published: September 9th 2017
Edit Blog Post

It was 6am Sat & we decided to make a go of venturing the tram into Roma Centrale...what a good idea that was. Suggest this move if you ever want some quiet in Roma (??) With good photo opportunities we headed to the Colloseum...it was an easy stroll around & it looked splendid in it's morning sunrise. All the noise just dies away.

We moved along the walk above Apian Way, they have just erected some recently discovered columns made from pink aswan granite that comes from Egypt. So history details are still being uncovered. Another excavation site has exposed some marble flooring of large circles & half circles in fantastic condition. I will try & find out although the excavation is not complete so the details won't be either. As they are digging deeper amongst the forums it really does expose so much more of how grand a city & forum it was in it's day. It all becomes a lot taller too than what it was previous to the new diggings (& laser technology findings).
The C Line metro is still incomplete due to archaeology findings. Of course it is the last leg to meet the Colloseum stop that they have had to readjust...& I hear that they have discovered an underground city & instead of diverting around it will make use of it & it's natural walkways (with protection glass along the walls) to connect people with the last stop.
No haze, so heaps of photos & I love the Cyprus trees amongst it all.

We sat in the shade of the Victor Emmanuel's (wedding cake) park & watched the beginnings of the days craziness.
We headed off to Navona via the quieter shady streets. Still early enough in the day that the resaurants were completely empty. The local govt is clamping down on tourist taking refuge in the fountains or sitting on any part of outdoor prominent areas to eat (eg. Spanish steps). And rightly so.

I realise it's the weekend & everyone is awake at night enjoying the coolness...children on the pavement at 11pm, so siesta time is really the only guaranteed time for qiuet & they are very strict on this time of day. All the shop fronts bring down their roller doors & close up, the traffic quietens down...& quite often we can hear each other talking...


Additional photos below
Photos: 14, Displayed: 14


Advertisement



Tot: 0.266s; Tpl: 0.018s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0927s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb