Piramide Cestius


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio
September 12th 2017
Published: September 12th 2017
Edit Blog Post

9am tram to Termini & then meant to catch the A Line Metro to Popolo...however there was a 3 hour Strike on that line so we jumped on the B Line to Piramide Cestius.
Looked magnificant in the bright sunlight...obviuosly been fixed up since 18-12BC.

Piramide of Cestius:
The pyramid was built about 18–12 BC as a tomb for Gaius Cestius, a magistrate and member of one of the four great religious corporations in Rome, the Septemviri Epulonum. It is of brick-faced concrete covered with slabs of white marble standing on a travertine foundation. The pyramid measures 100 Roman feet (29.6 m) square at the base and stands 125 Roman feet (37 m) high.

A nice wander around in the shade of the huge Cyprus trees under the high walls of the cemetary housing Shelley & Keats. Due to the uneven ground I've developed a goose step walk...lifting my feet in quite a pronounced way...though does make difficult keeping up with Brian....or he just goes around twice to catch back up with me....must have to remember to look down sometime.
Well kept cemetary (non-italian cemetary for foreigners).

We walked back to the Colosseo in the shade of a reasonably well to do area. Onto the B Line metro & nabbed a tram back home....if we didn't know we were in Italy that day, we could have been anywhere in the world...quite an assortment of nationalities...

We are starting to find our energy at last


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



Tot: 0.474s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 11; qc: 51; dbt: 0.0772s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb