Roma to Castellammare di Stabia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Campania » Castellammare di Stabia
September 13th 2017
Published: September 13th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Very organised this morning for our move...we even made a toastie for our lunch pack.

Tram to Termini & then a train to Napoli 3.5 hours. Quite a full load. Then another train to Castellammare di Stabia. Picturesque journey through horticulture fields...mostly olives and the trees are shaped just like ours...or the other way round...must be doing something right. (They are planted quite alot closer together too).
We were a bit lost to start with until we came across an elderly gentleman who walked us to our door....the beginings of a very friendly place. Our host lives in the same building..our apartment is quite large so it will be great for the next two weeks.

We watched a documentary a few months ago that was about ship building which just so happened to be in Castellammare di Stabia. I thought it would be a bit more industrialised and was pleasantly surprised to find an old town absolutely full of narrow alleys lined with multi storied buildings. At around 5.30pm we ventured out for a walk to the sea one block over and we found everybody and everyone was out walking the streets, on the balconies everywhere just socialising...never seen anything like it. It's quite a little gem town.

Castellammare di Stabia lies next to the ancient Roman city of Stabiae, which was destroyed by the Vesuvio eruption in A.D. 79. The castle of the city takes its name from was erected around the 9th century on a hill commanding the southern side of the Gulf of Naples. It was restored during the reign of Frederick II of Hohenstaufen and enlarged by King Charles I of Anjou.

We found a nice little 'Deco' supermarket across the road...how handy..
Lots of photo opportunities, have to wait for the light tommorrow...


Additional photos below
Photos: 8, Displayed: 8


Advertisement



14th September 2017

Wow
Quick read before heading out for the day. Love the blog and pictures! Will come back and read again,very intriguing. Xo

Tot: 0.055s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 11; qc: 29; dbt: 0.0276s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb