Cruise - Italy, Malta


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
November 30th 2015
Published: December 23rd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Mon 30th



MALTA (Happy Birthday Tamsyn)



Oh how we LOVE Malta, have certainly decided to come here and stay for much longer. ‘The town has a lovely feel to it – even if it does look like concrete city…but it’s all limestone and the main city of Malta has a Fortified wall all around it for protection….but as we got out of the city..to a small fishing village called Marsaxlokk we saw all the beautiful countryside…the vineyards, the terraced garden plots and from what we saw, it’s just a beautiful relaxed place to be….at this time of year. Apparently in the main tourist season, the place is just swarming with tourists. Malta has it’s own language…a mixture of Italian, French and lots of Arabic. They have incorporated words from a variety of languages as countries have invaded and ruled in history. A difference with the Arabic is that the word is still written using the ‘English’ letters. But back to the little fishing village….there are heaps of little fishing boats that are built and painted blue, red and yellow. Blue for the sea, yellow for the sun and red for passion. Also each boat has an eye painted on both sides at the bow. This is for protection against the sea spirits. They are so bright. So we had a little look around this village, went on a ‘fun train’ tour and then back on the bus, further south where we were to catch a boat to explore the caves in the cliffs. No OH&S here. There was quite a bit of swell coming in the landing point and you had to just step into these very little boats. We were quite concerned for the elderly people trying to get in. Best not to look. Then, as we’re motoring out, we’re instructed to put on the life jackets. As I was closest I had to stand up to get the lifejackets off the pole and pass out to all the others. We motored on through the swell as fast as the little outboards could take us, and then spent the next half hour going in and out of caves..including the ‘blue grotto’. An arch/cave type formation with a sandy floor so as the sun shines on it, it looks amazingly blue. Back on the bus and back to Malta. Departure was once again meant to be 1300, but again there were people missing. This time 3. Obviously a couple came back in time, but we think we left without one male (French) passenger.


Additional photos below
Photos: 31, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.403s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 12; qc: 64; dbt: 0.1189s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb