19th April - Embrun to Asti


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
April 22nd 2015
Published: April 22nd 2015
Edit Blog Post

Left a sunny Embrun & climbed & climbed & passed cars coming down from the mountains covered in snow; oh dear...we hadn't brought snow chains as they weren't compulsory post 15thApril, mmm.

Anyway, sunny & warm but at the top it was +1, low freezing cloud with skiers everywhere. A terrific road on the French side, just like the Italian job oddly. On the Italian side – mainly tunnels. Notable difference – French, sweeping roads, beautiful views; Italian, straight under it so we can drive fast! So, into tunnel in clouds & freezing, out of tunnel clear & +9...

Another management decision to use Autostrada to bypass Torino (think Birmingham but with Armani) which was very industrialised as expected (home of Fiat?)

Interesting – came from Gallic shrugs & Gaulloises to manic drivers & hand gesticulations, more often than not at the same time.

Got to camp eventually, with no shops on the way - camp book co-ordinates about 1k short...& it was closed 1pm – 3pm...

So, had a late lunch..opened by Maurizzio, late 20's who looked like a cross between Einstein & Woody Allen & welcomed us handsomely. Signed in then jumped on his electric scooter to escort us to the area to park up.

The site was odd in that most was given over to 'statics' which were small caravans with roll up lean to's to one side (not like Joan's site of course) Quiet enough though as off season. Went to the bar where Maurizzio served us wine & complimentary crisps, Doritos & pizza squares, jolly nice.

Planned our route for tomorrow to discover the site that Cathy unwittingly chose is naturist....still, can't be compulsory & besides...not sure if there are any alternatives. Do I care?

Then realised we're out of milk & their water tasted of TCP – b awful. Now we know what the signs at the tap meant. Would have been better if they'd printed a skull & crossbones.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.291s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0684s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb