Saturday Day 7


Advertisement
France's flag
Europe » France
April 18th 2015
Published: April 20th 2015
Edit Blog Post

All good ish in the morning, stopping at a Super U for supplies near Grenoble. Earlier we'd followed the signs to a local supermarket in a nearby town..we ended up in the market place, all roads were one way & 4 inches wider than Billy the Bus..we made it out having had to fold in one of the wing mirrors & Cathy hanging out of the window to check the clearance on her side...sweaty palms.

We took the peage again to clear the Grenoble & then off into the Alps proper. A beautiful road up the pass with just stunning views both up & down the mountains. Stopped for lunch at Rochetaillee which had a very futuristic automated toilet in the rest area. Just saying..

Then off again...only to find out 15 miles further on that the road through to Briancon was closed & involved going back down the mountain & taking an alternative route – a 3 hour diversion! I have to say that seeing the scenery from a different angle was worth the trip – just! The town council had laid on boats to take the locals to work across the lake & they'd left their cars on the other side of the road works. 4 months of road closure...

So off we go, & 'the navigator' (compliance – seen the film?) took us on another short cut to cut off a corner. Could have been interesting yet again – steep gradient, just more than single track, very few passing places & a 1000' drop on my side - but nothing came the other way for 6k, though we did have to pass about 24 cyclists at various stages up the road – their idea of a fun afternoon out clearly.

This was taking far too long so Cathy found us another camp site en route about 50k short of our intended stop over. But it's lovely here, surrounded by mountains & peaceful.





Tomorrow we cross into Italy to Asti.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.257s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0745s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb