The Vatican


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 3rd 2013
Published: May 21st 2013
Edit Blog Post

The subway in Rome was actually understandable if you knew approximately where to go/get off. We had guidance from the Hotel De Petris staff and we were able to get to the Vatican then back!

We used the Rick Steves book on how to tour the Vatican. Our tickets were purchased ahead of time allowing us to go past the long line straight to the ticket counter to trade for a ticket. Yes we were hit with people wanting to do a tour right up to going into the building. The book is fairly clear and we found everything he mentioned in doing the tour.

Gary loves art and would loved to had hours to have looked at every picture in every room and know all about each one. That will not happen with a tour. You would have to do a lot of research ahead of time and plan to spend hours going through about 50 rooms of art.

Arriving at the Sistine Chapel was a busy time for tours. It was very close with many people, which could cause anxiety for someone who would not like to be in a crowd. It does give you time to look at the ceilings and take pictures. As you finally enter the Chapel and prepare to leave, Rick Steves mentions a short cut to St Peters Basilica out the right side. there are sometimes guards which don't allow this to happen. However, tours are allowed to go this way and avoid a 45 minute walk out and back. We were very fortunate and tagged on to a tour so we got right out that door!

St Peters Basilica is an amazing facility. There is so much to see and take in, that it is not possible to do it in an hour. There is the Mary and Jesus done by Michelangelo, the different Popes who are on view with their bronze face and hands. There is the place that Peter is said to have died then buried under the Basilica. The beauty is amazing. We did not go up to see the view.

By now we have been here no less than about 5 hours and we are beginning to tire with little sleep on the transatlantic flight then staying up all day. We take the subway back to our hotel. It is 5:30 p.m. when we lay down for a 30 minute nap and wake 4 hours later!

We go out at 9:30 to find White's Bar (Café) with great food, gelato, music, and free Wi-Fi! A pizza, large Greek salad with vinegar/oil dressing, gelato and coke zero with a coke light and Yum! We will be back to the hotel at 11 and asleep again before 1.


Additional photos below
Photos: 80, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.261s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb