Rome!!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
January 22nd 2011
Published: January 22nd 2011
Edit Blog Post

Rome is just as amazing as every body says it is. If anyone were to not enjoy themselves than I would say they didn’t try hard enough. We arrive in a small port town of Civitavecchia, and from there we took a bus which took an hour and a half. I’m a history buff and what I loved about Rome is you could really tell that this city is ancient old and that this was actually once the biggest and most powerful empires of the world. Our first stop of this city was non-other than the Coliseum. This place was spectacular, although obviously not in its original form from when it was built in 72 A.D, it is still a reminder of what was. This Coliseum if you may or may not know was for gladiators to fight to the death. They would either fight other gladiators, ferocious lions, elephants, they would have chariot races, and they would even flood the arena to have navy battles. Although many people back than though gladiators killing each other was equal to today’s Yankees and Redsox, many spectators went for the free food that was often handed out by the emperor. This place had holes in almost every part to tell us that those holes were used to support the scaffolds. Once you go up the stairs you can look down and view what was underneath the original platform where the gladiators would wait to be slaughtered. After the Colosseum, we went to the Trevi Fountain. This fountain was indeed spectacular, although relatively new ( to Romans) it was built in the 18th century, and depicts the ocean god Neptune. Around this area I ate the best Gelato in the world, pistachio, very creamy, and rich, just literally melted in your mouth. With this gelato I went and sat on the fountain enjoying the sights. After my Gelato, there was a vendor selling little knick-knacks, he had a Pope John Paul II bobble head, which I had to get, and some rosaries that were scented and blessed by the Pope Himself. We went to lunch in a very small yet noisy restaurant. The food was good although wasn’t the best Rome could offer. Next was the Pantheon. Although very small, it was very interesting to say the least and its where Vittorio Emmanuel, the unifier of Italy is buried. ofbeautiful church in the Vatican. This church was spectacular, amazing, sculptures with amazing detail, the stain glass. I loved how they had a section only for people who wished to pray, they had a section open for those who came to attend service, and who wanted to confess. Throughout the day priests would come and spread incense throughout the church. Rome is in an interesting city, the city knows how to blend the old with new. Most of all the buildings are brown, proving to be old, while just down the road is the financial district where all the new comes into play. I think this was the best port of the trip.


Advertisement



Tot: 0.201s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 7; qc: 43; dbt: 0.0326s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb