Italy with Kids - Travel bound to Rome


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 2nd 2008
Published: September 5th 2008
Edit Blog Post

5:00am wakeup call. Where is the bloody phone?
Awake, packed and in the cab. Hk$55 from hotel to airport
Breakfast at Burger King in the airport

On the 12:40 flight to London:
There was unusual commentary from a documentary on Michelangelo's art on the entertainment system. He has a strange way of describing art, for example when referring to the sistine chapel and Michelangelo's painting of Adam, the penis is apaprently only a single brushstroke “and so sweet!”.
Looking out the window at the deserts of northern China
More movies, games.
Me getting double serves of most of the food because Liam didn't like it - he had cheese and cracker sandwiches and the boys had a bowl of noodles each.
Plane stewards were remarkably still smiling and pleasant even at the end of the 12+ hour flight. Impressive.

Kids slept right through the flight to Rome.
I made a point of drinking plenty of coffee to stay awake, altough without milk as the milk container had expired in January.

Arriving in Rome:
First dose of Italian and finding where the baggage collection area was.
Taxi E60 flat rate to “Roma Centro”. He took us around a few landmarks so we could see, including the Colloseum and the Basilica di Santa Maria Maggiore, which he noted was “Belle”.
Then the hard part: we are staying in a Bed and breakfast apartment room with shared kitchen and bathroom. Our host understood very little english, but amazingly we made it through the formalities. I guess she could tell when I had no idea what she was saying because I developed this expectant look that says “ok when are you going to say a word I recognise”. So true to form, she then would slow down and speak louder, and then say exactly the same thing.
So after around 23 hours on the go we went to bed.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.166s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 54; dbt: 0.0995s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb