Italy with Kids - The Vatican


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lazio » Rome
September 4th 2008
Published: September 11th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Yet another humid, warm day. Seeing as I enjoyed the cappucino from the Caffeteria Cottini so much, this time I had two!

A note on the cost of coke, sprite, juice-mixes etc in ~580ml bottles €2.00-€2.50.
Cost of Gelati €1.80 to €3.00. Cheaper in the gelateria than at the convenience drink stands outside the main attractions.

We caught the train in rush hour to 2 blocks from the Piazza Di San Pietro. Rush hour was squashed but not quite sardines. Then Piazza Di San Peitro - my favourite for the Rome visit. Absolutely stunning Piazza surrounded by enormous columns and fountains. We were there early ~7:30, so it took no time to get in to the Basilica (free entry), as well as being able to take advantage of some nice photos in the early sunlight.



Again Liam and Joseph went crazy with the camera, but got some beaut shots, and the camera kept them interested.



Then we climbed the 551 steps to the top of the Basilica di San Petrio Cupola (dome). Kylie and Liam took the lift to get past the first 231 steps (€7.00 ea) before climbing the rest, while Joseph and I ran up the full lot (€5.00 ea). Yes that's right, we ran. Actually, I ran up part of the first bit trying to catch up to Joseph, then gave up and sweated up the rest. The view from the top was great, smog and haze notwithstanding, but I think particularly for the kids it was a good activity. (a side note: yes, I had to climb back down all 551 steps). When the boys were younger, a large activity like this would gaurantee an early night and fast asleep, however they've now reached that unfortunate age when they just get fitter...



After that we checked out 'The Borgo'. We must have been a little early, because we found the streets a little quiet. Joseph and Liam picked up some little souvenirs using their allowance of €50.00 each for the trip. Joseph is becoming an adept bargain hunter. He was checking out prices for the little plastique statues of the colloseum, Pisa and others. The cheapest was €1.00 in a little store near the Campo de Fiori, and the most expensive around €3.00 at the street souvenir stalls.



Checked off Fragole, Pistacchio, and Cioccolato from our list of gelati flavours.

The vatican museums (€11.00 ea including kids) were extensive. The guide books mentioned that with the kids one should move quickly through the initial rooms to get to the top items, but we just weren't prepared for the sheer size of the museum. At one stage we were walking down a hallway with amazing guilded, frescoed (and everything else'd) paintings all over the walls and roof, and thought we were in the Sistine Chapel. The kids to my surprise loved all this stuff, and with the camera frequently changing hands they all took pictures of things they liked.





Then we arrived at the real Sistine Chapel. Absolutely amazing and awe-inspiring both in the size and scale, but also the detail and colour. A number of people were standing, looking at the walls and ceiling, like me with mouths open in awe. We weren't allowed to photograph it, but I intend to get a print of my favourite painting from the Chapel. We must go back one day when the kids have grown up and see it again. I reckon I could spend a morning just sitting in the Sistine Chapel!

Catching the return train was a bit of a trick: at the Vatican exit there was a sign pointing up the road, indicating 50m to the station, and different one to the station we'd arrived at. We soon found they meant 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 + 50 etc. Hint: go back to your starting point.

After another long, airconditioned rest at our room, we went for a wander while our clothes were being washed in a lavenderia (€12.00). We saw a number of green areas, but no children's playgrounds! Romans, what do you do with your kids? Visit King's Park in Perth one day to see what you need.

To wrap up the day we took the train to Trevi Fountain. It was very busy and hot, so we weren't really in the mood to appreciate it, but it was very beautiful all the same. We spent a while hunting for toy shops, going from the Corso to Barberini: and came to the conclusion that maybe there aren't any children in central Rome. We only found the one, I think it was called Pinnochio's, that was mentioned in the guide book. As Liam the dramatist said "I'll die if I don't see a toy shop today!"

Dinner was pizzas: Joseph had a Margherita (cheese on a tomato paste) I had something with soft mozzarella cheese and cherry tomatoes, and Liam had a cheese a meat pizza. The meat was like polony. I had trouble with my pizza. Every time I went to take a bite the cherry tomatoes rolled off. Kylie kept giving me these looks.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.097s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 8; qc: 23; dbt: 0.0425s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb