Ravenna


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
October 23rd 2007
Published: October 23rd 2007
Edit Blog Post

MosaicMosaicMosaic

This was on the floors of the church, see the fine details of the stone work.
We left Venice very early today (Oct 23) and went via water taxi to the train station. We took the train to Farerra where we switched trains to continue on to Ravenna. Ravenna is located on the Adriactic, south of Venice about 90 kms. We are only staying here the one night at the Hotel Bryon, which is located in central Ravenna. When we got to Ravenna, we walked to the hotel which is about 6 blocks away. We were pleasently surprised to see such a wonderful, quaint Italian town. This town is famous for its residents who ride around on bicycles. There is a white stone pathway that is for bikes only and if you accidentally walk on it, the bicyclist will ring his bell to warn you he's coming.

We spent the whole day walking to the 5 main attractions in Ravenna, which are relatively close to each other. The Museum Arcievescoville, Battistero Neoniano, Basilica di S. Apollinare Nuovo, Basilica di S. Vitale and Mausoleo di Galla Placidia. Basically each place is a church / cathedral which are over 1000 years old and contain the oldest mosaics in the world. One church was over 1400 years old and
Laura in RavennaLaura in RavennaLaura in Ravenna

Laura in front of a 1400 year old crypt.
was absolutely amazing. The work that went into these places is speechless to say the least.

We went for lunch at an outdoor cafe and continued on with our tour. By 5 (ish) we were out of places to see and we were pooped. Went back to the hotel for a quick one hour nap to recharge the batteries.

The doorman of our hotel recommended a great place for dinner. We went a few blocks to a local restaurant and had probably the best meal so far on this trip. The service is by far more superior then we would ever see in Canada. Our waiter, Marco, is roughly 60 years old, but he handled at least 12 tables quickly and efficiently. Besides the service, the food was amazing, from the 1st course to dessert. Now we're stuffed and ready for some sleep. Tomorrow we will be picking up the rental car and driving to a town called San Marino. A quick tour there and then off to Asissi for 3 nights. Ciao.


Additional photos below
Photos: 5, Displayed: 5


Advertisement

Dan in RavennaDan in Ravenna
Dan in Ravenna

Dan with a leaf from a tree that looked to be 500 - 600 years old.
Outside ChurchOutside Church
Outside Church

The exterior of one of the churches in Ravenna.
Ravenna ChurchRavenna Church
Ravenna Church

The interior of a Ravenna church.


Tot: 0.045s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 22; dbt: 0.0265s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb