Beautiful Italy!!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
May 20th 2018
Published: May 30th 2018
Edit Blog Post

Beautiful Italy!!

Arrived in beautiful Venice, opted for the water taxi for our first view of the Grand Canal, thankful the weather cooperated!! It was everything you ever thought Venice would look like - gondolas with gondoliers in black and white shirts rowing past us, housing at the water's edge and the beautiful Rialto bridge. Enjoyed two wonderful days touring Venice.



Then on to the Dolomites for two days, where we stayed at Cortina d'Ampezza (@ 5400') , a beautiful ski resort area nestled in the middle of the Dolomite mountains.Some hiking in between rain showers and doding bicyclists as we drove. Also enjoyed the Vespa racing downtown one evening.



Then on to Varenna on Lake Como. A beautiful setting with the snow capped mountains in the background. Enjoyed the ferry around the lake and a quick stop in Lugano Switzerland.



After two nights, we moved on to Cinque Terre (5 lands), on the Mediterranean Sea, staying in Manarola. A late afternoon hike to Corniglia, the more difficult mountain trail, as the ocean trail is still closed due to their earlier washouts. A good workout for all, followed by a delicious meal in Corniglia!



Then on to Tuscany - staying in the Chianti region in a beautiful Agriturismo, in a 16th century medieval watchtower, enjoying the company of Lucas and Silvia, the owners. Toured the beautiful Chianti area including Siena and Montepulciano and definitely enjoying all the wine and delicious food.



Then on to Florence and three days of touring enjoying the Duomo museum, climbing to the top of the Duomo, seeing David and just waundering the beautiful streets of Florence.



Rushing to post this, as usual. Hard to believe we leave tomorrow to return to Boston.

It was a great trip!


Additional photos below
Photos: 55, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



31st May 2018

Wine Wine Wine
It looks like another great trip. I get exhausted thinking about the planning. Lovely photos as usual. Happy and safe travels on your return. Grant

Tot: 0.801s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 42; qc: 158; dbt: 0.1586s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.5mb