A little r&r


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy
September 30th 2012
Published: November 10th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 41.8817, 16.173

We left the Bari area on Saturday mornning and headed over to Barletta to see the largest Roman bronze in existence. We forgot that it was Saturday morning. It was crowded with people and cars and scooters. We managed to find the Colosso without too much trouble. When we went to leave we got to an intersection that was almost gridlocked. There were cars parked on each side of the road and one person was double parked in the on coming lane. People were trying to get around him. People were turning the corner and people were coming across the intersection, all at the same time. We saw someone on a scooter almost get hit by a car as he was negotiating the congestion. We made it out of town and headed toward our next destination. Vieste is on the tip of the spur above the heel of the boot. It is supposed to be a destination for local Italians and not so much a place for foreigners. The road to Vieste clings to the coast mountains kind of like highway 1 in California. We were quite suprised to see fog hiding our view of the ocean for the first half hour. Then the fog lifted and we were driving along a beautiful coastline with great views. After a while our town of Viests came into view. There was a huge beach to the south of it. We stopped at a TI and found out how to get to our hotel. About 150 in front of our hotel is another huge, long beach. We checked in, found some lunch, put on our suits and headed over to the beach. They had beach chairs and umbrellas. The sand was really fine. We went for a dip in the Mediterranean Ocean. It was about 76 degrees, cool but refreshing. We went back to our hotel for a little nap and then had dinner at the hotel.
The next day we went into old town and toured around. It was cooler today and quite breezy. We visited a couple of churches, a castle and generally looked around. We headed back to the hotel, got our suits and went back to the beach. It was much cooler than the day before. It actually started sprinkling on us a couple of times. I saw my first topless girl on the beach today. Sorry guys, she was too far away for any pictures.
Tonight we will go into old town for dinner. We saw a lot of nice resturants during our walk.
Tomorrow we leave and head for the Parko Nazionale d' Abruzzo, which is a large park in the middle of Italy. We are staying for 2 nights. There is no wifi there, so the next blog will be from Rome, on Wednesday or Thursday.



Additional photos below
Photos: 22, Displayed: 22


Advertisement

Cieling in the main churchCieling in the main church
Cieling in the main church

That ceiling is painted on wood. The painting was done in the 1600's


30th September 2012

Where's the Corona?

Tot: 0.294s; Tpl: 0.015s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.1024s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb