Verona


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
June 28th 2008
Published: June 28th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Monday 16th June

We arrived in Verona around 11am, and found that the hotel was a good 15 minute walk from the Train station. It was also on Verona’s busiest and possibly bumpiest street.

Verona is a beautiful small city with a population of around two hundred and fifty thousand. Shakespeare’s Romeo and Juliet is based on events from this town and later on we were to find the balcony where Juliet waited for Romeo (I guess a stronger knowledge of Shakespeare would have been useful at this point, we read King Lear and Macbeth at school not Romeo and Juliet.)

We hired some bikes and biked around Verona. With the exception they were seriously uncool bikes it was a great way to get around. Traffic is not too bad (excluding our street) and the weather was quite cool. We were able to see the Arena (which is a colosseum type building) but couldn’t go in as an opera was taking place and we didn’t have tickets. We saw the main square, some river bridges, some church and the Romeo and Juliet balcony (looks like any other balcony but has heaps of graffiti.)

A good days exploring which left us tired. We went back to the hotel, slept and the next day caught a train to Venice.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement



Tot: 0.074s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 49; dbt: 0.0429s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb