Good Luck in Love Was Not Getting Slapped or Arrested


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Verona
August 14th 2009
Published: June 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

Verona ArenaVerona ArenaVerona Arena

Not quite the Rome Colosseum, but it is used for concerns and opera.
This is not one of the main tourist traps in Northern Italy, but there were some nice pictures in our guidebook that made it look like a nice picturesque little town, so we thought we would check it out whilst we were in that direction.

One thing that we noticed about Italian towns (including this one) is that as you approach them by road, they look particularly industrial and unattractive, making you think that you have made a big mistake going there. However, once you make your way to the centre (by following the target symbols on the road signs) they have more of the traditional Italian theme to them. Apart from that, the main thing to see was a bridge over the river and, well, that was about it really.

It was obvious that this was off the main tourist track for two main reasons: first, it was a lot cheaper than all the other places that we had been to; and second, it had been over an hour since we had last had any ice-cream and we struggled to find anywhere that sold it. A rebellion was brewing.

Verona was very close to Lake Garda, in
Bassano del GrappaBassano del GrappaBassano del Grappa

The Renaissance Bridge and the River Brenta.
fact it’s where we flew into, so it was more a case of Lake Garda being very close to Verona. Whatever, but we of course gave it a visit. After crossing through the industrial surrounds, we eventually managed to find the historic centre of the town.

Given that we had a daughter with us, the main thing to see was Juliet’s balcony at Casa di Jiuiletta and the associated museum. She absolutely loved it. There was a statue outside (of Juliet I assume) that everyone was having pictures taken with whilst holding her right breast. We had absolutely no idea why this was, but it was probably for good luck in love something like that.

And there was the “love wall” (well that’s what we called it), where anyone could write messages of love.

Another key attraction of Verona is the Roman Arena. This is apparently the third largest behind Rome and, urr, somewhere else. Unlike the Coliseum in Rome this one is actually used on a regular basis – usually for opera performances and the like. Given that my experience of opera was easily one of the most tedious events of my life, that was something
River BrentaRiver BrentaRiver Brenta

The river viewed from the Renaissance Bridge
that I was not going to volunteer for again, ever.

There was a fantastic view over Verona on the drive out.


Additional photos below
Photos: 6, Displayed: 6


Advertisement

Bassano del Grappa ClockBassano del Grappa Clock
Bassano del Grappa Clock

The clock in a Bassano Square.
Casa di GiuliettaCasa di Giulietta
Casa di Giulietta

Juliet's balcony and the statue with the well-worn breast.
Verona ViewVerona View
Verona View

The view on the drive back.


Tot: 0.186s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 16; qc: 80; dbt: 0.1191s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb