Venice - Day 1


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 23rd 2012
Published: July 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4386, 12.3267

The train ride into Venice was very straightforward. We purchased day passes on the Vaporettos (Water Taxis for about $24). This allows unlimited access for 12 hours to water taxis in any direction. It is a little challenging because there are no printed schedules and you have to interpret the various signboards posted at stations which are also sitting on the water. Nevertheless, the system is quite efficient and even when we took the wrong ferry we just got off and found another one headed in the right direction.

Tomorrow we will walk in Venice so we made the most of the day pass on the boats.

The morning was overcast with a bit of rain explaining why some of the pictures are a bit dark. Later it cleared and became quite warm and sunny.

We traveled both of the major routes including the Grand Canal as well as the route which took us to Murano where the glass works are located.

Many historic buildings which I will try to identify later when I put the book together. Basically, Venice is built on a malarial swamp. Between the 5th and the 8th century AD the Huns, Goths and other barbarians sacked Roman towns so the town was born in a location which to aggressors seemed less desirable.

The city is composed of in excess of 117 islands and there is no vehicle access. There are 400 bridges and 150 canals. All commerce is done by boat.

The buildings were erected on pylons driven into 100 feet of silt. On top of this a waterproof rock was laid acting as the foundation from which the buildings were constructed. The water level area was more of a warehouse. The floors immediately above were where the notables lived and conducted business. The top stories with the smaller windows were where the servants lived and where the kitchens were located. The kitchens were located on the top levels because the surrounding buildings in the past were made of wood and this reduced the fire hazard. Also, the unique chimneys reduced the chances of stray sparks.

In its tine it was considered to be the most luxurious town of its time. Even today a 100 sq ft apartment sells for $1 million and maintenance costs are very expensive.





Additional photos below
Photos: 82, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



24th May 2012

Oh, my god, it looks utterly fantastic in Vienna. So much to do and see. Enjoy. What is your hotel like?

Tot: 0.049s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 10; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0303s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1mb