Cruise Finale in Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 7th 2013
Published: June 29th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 45.4345, 12.3384

Tonight will be our last aboard the Carnival Sunshine. 9 nights have flown by. Arrival at our cruises final destination in Venice was spectacular in itself, sailing by islands and enjoying a beautiful view of the city. For me, Venice was clearly my favourite of Italian cities visited, pretty and unique in its setting. A noon arrival today allowed for a sleep in and slow start, including a breakfast in bed from Natalie. Lucky me! Once the gangway was finally organised, we set out to explore Venice by foot on our own. It proved to be a long hot day of walking. Tragically, we were one of six large cruise ships here, and as a result the city streets were befouled by excessive hoardes of tourists.
The walk from the ship took us through Roma Square, over and along canals, over the Realto Bridge of the Grand Canal, through narrow enclosed streets, eventually to the main spot, St Marks Square.
Here stands St Marks Cathedral, the Astronomical Clock, St Marks Tower, thousands of tourists and gutter birds (pigeons). Just around the corner, we paid a visit to the Bridge of Sighs. Leaving the square, we stopped in at a spot for beer and pizza. Now, the long journey back through the streets towards our ship.
We've lots on our mind just now. We've little time left, one night in Venice, a flight to Paris for six nights, and then some time with our friends in Belgium. From there, we are near the end of our budget and need urgent work or accommodation, otherwise its home time. My job awaits me in Australia, and still pays a lot better than work in Europe. We have debt to repay before planning Brazil next year, yet still time to spare, which is rare. We've found an appealing option. To return home to Australia by ship, giving us time to rest and see some unusual places for under $100 per day all inclusive. Something to consider, then working at home soon after arrival.
We urgently need wifi to research further and Venice accommodation doesn't have it. A work in progress. Two weeks from now we could be anywhere..


Additional photos below
Photos: 25, Displayed: 23


Advertisement



Tot: 0.229s; Tpl: 0.012s; cc: 9; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0567s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb