Venice - Day 6


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 1st 2016
Published: May 1st 2016
Edit Blog Post

This morning our room flooded in Venice! Not because of a high tide though, our shower didn't drain properly and it was so bad that it started to enter our bedroom. The hotel staff were really good though and they fixed it and cleaned it all up while we had our breakfast. It was raining this morning and there is already a huge difference in the water level in the canals compared to yesterday. So in the rain we headed out to the bell tower in St Mark's square. We'd planned to walk up but the only option was to take the lift. We got to the top and had a great view of Venice, all the roofs have orange tops and the beautiful cathedrals stood out everywhere. The bells then started to go off while we were up there which was so loud, but a very cool experience. We then headed to parts of Venice we hadn't been to yet and then planned to go back to the hotel. But we got lost in Venice (yay!), so had to ask one of the people at the Cafe where we were and we found out we were in a completely different part of Venice than we thought we were in! Along the way we visited a few museums, one had beautiful glass sculptures and chandeliers everywhere! We stopped at a Cafe tried one of Venice's local drinks which is called Spritz (a wine based cocktail with prosecco, aperol and soda water), it was very nice! In the afternoon we just relaxed back at the hotel as we were so tired from all the walking the day before and it wasn't the nicest weather outside either. So we had a good rest and then went out for dinner. We tried their fish which is one of their main specialities. Blair had a mix of fried fish and I had a lemon swordfish, it was so good!!! Afterwards we had some gelato on the way back to the hotel. We then went back out to St Mark's Square where we walked around listening to musicians playing classical music at night. Venice is beautiful at night, there are no crowds and it is all beautifully lit up. We had planned to maybe go and see a classical concert, but there were lots of musicians playing in the main square for free so we didn't bother. Tomorrow we plan to take a boat to Murano where they make all the beautiful glass. Addio!


Additional photos below
Photos: 18, Displayed: 18


Advertisement



Tot: 0.085s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 6; qc: 52; dbt: 0.0605s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb