Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 23rd 2010
Published: May 23rd 2010
Edit Blog Post

This content requires Flash
To view this content, JavaScript must be enabled, and you need the latest version of the Adobe Flash Player.
Download the free Flash Player now!
 Video Playlist:

1: Gondala Regatta 20 secs
So here I am 7 pm two glasses of red and a plate of Parma ham and I'm left to type the blog. Another full day. Our only whole day to see Venice. We arrived yesterday from Florence at 3 o'clock a little worse for wear as we had been up since 5 o'clock. Arrived in Florence and stowed our bags until the 12.30 train to Venice. Thought I would get some serious shopping in since we were too busy sight seeing and art watching on Thursday. Boy was I disapointed Saturday is a late start day in Florence where nobody gets much going before 11 am. So back to the station to get the Euro Star to Venice. So Grant gets all the bags aboard - (seem to be getting heavier for not much shopping!!) only to find there has been a cock up and seats double booked so their are several people without seats. After much gestulation arm waving and rushing round by Italian rail representative we finally get our seats. A very quick trip to Venice with a glass on bubbles on the way.

So we have a lovely little room on the top floor overlooking the Grand Canal with our own balcony, lots of gilt and geraniums! (Maybe moving into a geranuim phase when I get home) A little shabby chic and very Italian - very Venetain. The bells are chiming all the time not to mention the Ambulanza's going past. The weather is glorious. We walked to St Marks square throught the allyways and over the bridges and what shoudl have taken half an hour took 2.5 hrs as we stopped to look at the shops and have lunch in a sunny square. We have fallen in love with the Murano Glass. Grant had to restrain me otherwise there would be a chanderlier on its way to NZ. Ali I see about the masks!!!. We decided to avoid the Gondolas and E80 for a ride and took the water taxi instead. They were back on duty after being down for the morning due to a reagatta (check out the video). Spent a couple of hours at the Doges Palace through the Bridge of Sighs and into the prison. Beautiful ceilings old old old!! Had a gelato in St Marks square. E2 this time.

So bye bye Italy . The biggest memories are the art and the history and the style! The second biggest are the dogs with balls (they don't neuter their dogs) and the smoking. Everywhere they smoke and take their dogs, resturants, train staions, shops. Bailey Bill woldn't like it, too many peole. Tourist destinations would be just lovely without the tourists!!!!!.

London heare we come.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement



24th May 2010

wow and wow
What a superb time. The style, the shopping, the art - all wow! Keep on enjoying !!! Today is meant to be very hot in London so keep enjoying the heat as you travel to Brit! Had Ashley and Ali around for dinner on Friday night. Both looking forward with a bit of intrepitation to their next ventures too! Love to you both, Wendy and Alex xx
25th May 2010

Aren't the masks awesome! I wanted to by the whole shop. Glad to hear your having a lovely time. Ash is good just a couple of hours to go. Billy's looking concerned at yet another big suitcase Love you!

Tot: 0.27s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 7; qc: 46; dbt: 0.041s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb