Venice Italy


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
April 26th 2010
Published: June 19th 2010
Edit Blog Post

We arrived early at our inn, as expected, though they did have one room ready for us. Room 14 on the first floor. We booked two double superior. Room 14 overlooks the canal named di Toletta. Small shower but large comfortable room. We left our luggage there and headed out to see sights in the area. First stop, the Accademia museum. They are currently refurbishing and art was not where I expected it to be (following tour on Rick Steves). But, it has the most important art in Venice, and we stayed awhile. Worth seeing. First on list? Not unless you arrive day one and are staying nearby. Americans do not have the full historical background for this art. I have seen much ancient Italian art and appreciate this museum, but Americans will be more impressed by other sights. After renovation, this museum will be even better. On to Guggenheim which feels very American (it is decadent after all) even though it has a prime location in Venice. Some artificial "annex" has been added to attract additional art afficianados, but Americans fully appreciate what Peggy Guggenheim has done here, even if they don't understand art. You can't help but appreciate the location and artistry of the exuberant statue by Marini, "Angel of the City." Fabulous. I love anyone who buries their beloved pets in the courtyard. Next is La Salute, a church of contradictions. It is obviously huge and very detailed. Soul? Maybe missing. Still, dedicated to the virgin Mary to thank her for saving the survivors of the plague. Was she responsible for that? Probably not. Churches built with more religious devotion (as opposed to their self-interest) appear to have a little more religious soul.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.056s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 6; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0327s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb