Mfuwe Lodge safari quick and easy


Advertisement
Zambia's flag
Africa » Zambia » South Luangwa
October 2nd 2009
Published: November 8th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Impala killImpala killImpala kill

This sausage tree is the pantry for leopard's kill which he will eat later
After flying to Lusaka Zambia from the US (via Jo'burg) I slept overnight in Lusaka (Protea Hotel Arcades). Next morning I took a flight on Proflight from the Lusaka airport ($8 departure tax) to Mfuwe. The costly flight was fairly short and a little bumpy but worth it since I only had 2 extra days for a safari. My reservations at Mfuwe Lodge inside South Luangwa park included a friendly guide who met me at the airport and drove me back to the Lodge. The road from the airport to the Mfuwe entrance to the Park is newly paved and the prosperous villages which line the road reflect the impact of the tourist industry on the area. I had 2 weeks of village life first hand in a different part of Zambia which relied only on farming and had none of the prosperity seen around Mfuwe. Mfuwe Lodge is perfectlly situated in the park for the twice daily game drives (photo only) and hosts frequent wildlife visitors due to its location on a water source which attracts animals especially during the dry season. First drive out was in the afternoon/evening and we saw nearly everything that could be seen except hippo.
Adult lion and cubAdult lion and cubAdult lion and cub

resting and washing by the river after feasting on water buffalo
Nice small group in the Land Rover of 5 people a driver/guide and spotter with beam for after sunset. The group stayed together the entire time I was there. The next morning we left on the drive and nearly the first thing we saw was a huge pride of lion taking a siesta by the river, their bellies bulging from a buffalo kill that fed nearly all of them. They were well satisfied, lethargic, aware of us but not concerned. We spent a long time just enjoying the opportunity to be so close to the entire group and watching them. On the same drive we saw a small herd of elephants with a couple babies but they moved away from us fairly quickly. We caught sight of a leopard who disappeared into the tall grass, but we were able to get a good look at the impala he had killed and dragged up into the tree. Beautiful thorncroft giraffe were grazing and gracefully scattered as we drive by. Lots of hippo in the river with crocodiles sunbathing on the banks. The abundant game in the park means you will have a satisfying drive every time you go out. With limited time, I truly appreciated this and was thrilled I took the time to visit the park and stay at Mfuwe. Mfuwe had lots of friendly helpful staff, was clean and comfortable, and a good option inside the park. After seeing the game drive vehicles that come from outside the park, I would recommend visitors do not choose that option.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.078s; Tpl: 0.013s; cc: 7; qc: 45; dbt: 0.0487s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb