Touring Venice


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
September 13th 2008
Published: September 14th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Little Red Bow on a StickLittle Red Bow on a StickLittle Red Bow on a Stick

Meeting Rita our Tour Guide
Sept. 8, 2009

After the museum, I went back to the hotel to prop up my feet because I knew I was about to go on a 2 hour walking tour.

I went to the entry gate of the royal gardens to meet my tour. We were given a small walkie-talkie with neck lanyard and headphone. Our guide, Rita, spoke venetian-English that came though to our little headphone.

There was a large crowd of people speaking every language under the sun. It was ciaos. I clung to the sight of Rita's red bow on a stick over the sea of people.

We started off by passing Doge's Palace (what used to be the government building) and walking through the Basilica di San Marco. It was originally built in the 800s AD, but was burned twice. This building started being constructed in the 1000s AD and was completed near 1650 AD. Much of what adorns the Basilica was looted from conquered peoples. There are massive Greek horses outside said to have come from Trajen's Palace. Many recycled items from Constantinople, like gold and thousands of marble tiles.

There is a strict dress code in the Basilica. No
Piazza San MarcoPiazza San MarcoPiazza San Marco

On average, there are 200,000 tourists are in Venice everyday.
shorts and No tank-tops. Small paper shawl could be purchased for €1 for the women who need to cover their shoulders. Sheer amazement came over my face when i realized i was looking at gold. These incredible mosaics were not only created from teeny tiny tiles but the background of every depiction was gold. As I was thinking "I must be looking at billions of dollars in gold," I almost tripped over the floor. Like a fun house at the fair, this floor needed mega amounts of concentration in order to keep you balance. The sinking effects on the city have certainly taken a tole on the floor which was lavishly decorated with (recycled) multicolored marble tiles.

We left the Basilica and began walking around the city. Rita told us there are over 100 islands that make up Venice and about the sinking of the city, mainly due to major industrialization in the 60's and 70's. Nowadays, Venice is sinking 1/2 inch per year. Most of the palaces, buildings and homes that are right on the water's edge didn't used to used to be. They had stairways and sidewalks that then lead down to the water, which are now
All That GlittersAll That GlittersAll That Glitters

Another mosaic on the ceiling of San Marco's Basilica. There is over 2,000 sqf of gold on the ceiling, which is not including the colored glass tiles, and it took over 400 years to complete the work.
under water. Today, Venice can flood year round, and they are working on a sea wall that should be finished in the next 10 years. Over 1/2 of the homes in Venice are empty, because in it so expensive, the flooding, and the annoying tourists. She said there is almost no crime in Venice because it is illegal to be homeless in Venice and lthe criminals cannot afford to live here either.

We saw the Rialto Bridge. We walked to the home that they believe Marco Polo was born in. We saw a half a dozen beautiful churches. And we were done.

I was dying of thirst and found a little shop. I grabbed a liter bottle of water for €5 ($7.50) and and fruit cup. I walked into the street and took a massive gulp. YUCK!!! It was carbonated! Dammit. disgusting

I went back to my hotel to take a nap. I was covered in sweat and tired. After a quick rise off, I slept for 2 1/2 hours. Now, it was time to go back out and meet my boat tour.

Same song second verse. Met and the garden, got a head set. 10
Mozaics with inMozaics with inMozaics with in

In San Marco's Basilica. This was created from .25" x .25" tiles.
people loaded onto out boat and we were off. We went slowly around the several islands and Grand Canal. A slightly less eventful tour, but lovely. We saw stunning palaces and architecture. We went under the Rialto Bridge and saw the Museo di Acidemia. We each received a glass of wine and enjoyed the rest of our ride.

I needed to head back to the hotel and jest some sleep; jest lag was setting in.


Additional photos below
Photos: 16, Displayed: 16


Advertisement

SeriouslySeriously
Seriously

400 sq meters of gold
This StatueThis Statue
This Statue

It was big and impressive ... and i can't remember who it's of.
The HospitalThe Hospital
The Hospital

I'm not kidding! This is really the hospital and not a church!
CanalsCanals
Canals

On average, the interior canals are 3 ft. deep!
CarnivaleCarnivale
Carnivale

Italy's most famous holiday. Made in the original way, these hand made masks run about €30-50
BridgesBridges
Bridges

tons and tons of bridges
Elton John's HouseElton John's House
Elton John's House

The smaller yellow one to the right of the large building
Rialto BridgeRialto Bridge
Rialto Bridge

The most famous bridge in Venice
Gondola PolesGondola Poles
Gondola Poles

Gondola poles were painted in the family's colors.
PalacePalace
Palace

A palace with amazing mosaics
WindowsWindows
Windows

How beautiful can you make a window?


14th September 2008

Amazing sites

Tot: 0.179s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 10; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0756s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb