Gondolas and glass


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
May 22nd 2008
Published: May 27th 2008
Edit Blog Post

Ah Venice - place full of bridges, little islands, glass and hot gondola drivers (well our one was hot anyway)....

We started the day in Venice with all our wet weather gear as it had been raining in Italy quite a lot. However the sun decided to come out and it was a glorious day spent in Venice. I'd have to say that i think it is my favourite place (apart from Cinque Terre). Hopping from island to island and attempting not to get too lost was the aim of the day.

We did a bit of a walking tour around St Marks square but due to high tide, it decided to flood the square (see pic) so it was more trying to avoid getting drench early in the day. Most of us on the tour decided that we had to do a gondola tour and we did it in style with champagne! It was wicked chilling out on the boats with the lunchtime sun beaming down on you as we crawled through the narrow canals, listening to the musicians perform on other gondolas.

That afternoon we were to left to roam and get lost (which was really
Yum yumYum yumYum yum

Enjoying the gelati
easy to do). We shopped for glass, venetian face masks and ate the yummiest chocolate gelati. We also visted St Marks Basicilia which was awe inspiring. The outside was awesome but the inside was just WOW! It was covered from head to toe in mosaics - the figures were all in colour and the surrounding colours were in gold. With the afternoon sun setting, the gold just glistened and twinkled.

We caught the water taxi back to the bus stop and on the way, saw more of the city and met an American couple who were in their late 60s/early 70s. They'd come over as they'd bought a red sportscar and managed to get a speeding ticket on the 2nd day! If you're gonna buy one of these things, you have to give them a bit of a spin don't ya?

I'd definitely head back to Venice, only to get lost and eat lots more of the gelati!!

Brooke x




Advertisement



16th June 2008

Champagne?
Drinking champagne on a gondola? Just how decadent are you??

Tot: 0.101s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 10; qc: 46; dbt: 0.0644s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb