Venice brings us back to Israel


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Venice
October 15th 2017
Published: October 15th 2017
Edit Blog Post

woke up this morning to the sound of water lapping against our bedroom wall so we opened the curtains and the shutters an admired the lake before getting out of bed, once up we went and had our complimentary breakfast overlooking the Lake of scrambled eggs and various pastries with Jam and Nuttella which is everywhere here in Italy.

we packed our bags and started off for Venice, but first a quick 1 hour boat ride from Varenna which should have been 80 euro but his card machine wouldnt work so he accepted 70 which was all the cash we had. we drove the boat across the lake to Menagio and followed the shore down to Tremezzo across to Bellagio and back to Varenna there are a lot of fancy houses right on the water that have private water carports for their boats. the scenery is magnificent with the mountains rising up above the towns and some of the trees changing colour to red and yellow autumn colours.

we had a coffee when we got back to Varenna and then headed off to venice, a 3 hour trip mostly on Autostrade highways total cost was about 20 euros

when we arrived in venice the company we hired our car from Locauto told us to take it to the carpark next to the railway station at venice so we went across the water to venice up to the top floor of a car park 10 stories but couldnt find any signs for Locauto so we rang them where we picked it up in florence and eventually got an address on the mainland next to the railway line and found the right car park but in the rush to get on the train left our painting in the car so we will have to try to get it tomorrow as today is sunday and they are closed.

we caught the train back to venice which cost 2.6 euro for both of us, by the way when we were on the 10th floor of the carpark it was a good view of venice.

the bnb had given us good directions to our house so we found it easily, the only thing I would say is if we came here again we would do venice first so we had less stuff to carry over the bridges and up the stairs of our bnb

after settling in we walked down by a nearby canal to the oldest Jewish ghetto in the world where the Jews were forced to live segregated from the Christians, there is a lot of history here for instance the majority of Europe's Jewish literature was printed here before 1650. and only 8 Jews of the aprox. 300 taken to death camps from here survived.

we were reminded of Israel here when we saw the Sukkot buildings disassembled leaning against walls in the ghetto.

we had dinner not far from our bnb Esther had spaghetti bolagnaise. which was good and I had another try at Pizza and now I will officially say Israel has better pizzas than Italy at least in Jerusalem at Jacobs pizzas. but Italy has the best Tiramasu. goodnight.


Additional photos below
Photos: 19, Displayed: 19


Advertisement

DSC04447DSC04447
DSC04447

venice from the top of the car park


Tot: 0.099s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 9; qc: 45; dbt: 0.049s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb