Water World


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Veneto » Padua
October 26th 2009
Published: October 26th 2009
Edit Blog Post

Roman Arena VeronaRoman Arena VeronaRoman Arena Verona

All the marble facing fell off centuries ago in an earthquake
Days Five and Six Padova and Venice

We had an uneventful trip to Padova by train, except for having to ride the Eurostar (which costs more than twice the price of regular trains). When we in, we checked at the tourist information in the station, since we had read that they could book rooms for you. this was a lucky move: the woman at the desk told us all the rooms in town were booked due to a big auto show (an the Venice marathon we found out later). When we said we were hoping to find a place near the station, she happily told us that a hotel right behind the station had just called and said they had a room freed up. This turned out to be a great stoke of luck: the hotel is quiet, and not expensive by Italian standards ($90 a night with a good breakfast) and it has a bathroom. Also there is a grocery store in the station so we can "self-cater" some of our meals.

As soon as we checked in, we we changed (it had gotten warm) and headed into the center of town. There is an important cathedral here
St Anthony's PadovaSt Anthony's PadovaSt Anthony's Padova

The ancient magnolia in this courtyard came from North America.
were St Anthony is entombed, and it is a pilgrimage destination. We visited the interior and fund that relics of the saint were on display, including his tongue and larnyx!!!!

Next we walked to the old center of town, and found jammed full of people, strolling and shopping. We bought bread and pastry at a high end shop and it cost about $22...! this was dinner along with the cheese and wine from Verona.

On Sunday morning, we took the train to Venice, after finding out that our watches were an hour early due to a time change. The train route to Venice wasn't outstanding, but we did see the gondolier school.

Venice is as beautiful as I had imagined. Lovely homes everywhere...some restored, some slowly disolving over centuries. We took the water bus to St Mark's Square, where we discovered that the Venice Marathon was being run and that the front runners would be arriving shortly. We was the winner, a Kenyan, come by....he didn't even look winded and was ahead by several minutes....The woman winner was also Kenyan.

The crowds in St. Mark's were thick by time we decided to visit the Cathedral, and we waited in line only to find it was clsed for a few hours for Mass. We walked around Venice for the next five hours, eating, visiting churches, sitting by canals, getting lost, and just being amazed by the beauty of it all....

Today we are staying in Padova...and spent a good part of the day trying to access wireless...we did not succeed and now are in the public library...

We will return to Venice tomorrow and then leave Florence on Wednesday


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement

St Mark'sSt Mark's
St Mark's

In many places there are huge ads on buildings that are being renovated.
Detail St Mark'sDetail St Mark's
Detail St Mark's

The lion is the symbol of Venice


27th October 2009

You haven't said how well you are speaking Italian. Your photos are wonderful. Looks like you have had good weather for the most part. Keep absorbing all that history - and keep well!

Tot: 0.063s; Tpl: 0.01s; cc: 12; qc: 28; dbt: 0.0376s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 2; ; mem: 1.1mb