The Plastic, Glittery Towers Weren’t a Substitute For Not Climbing It


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
August 17th 2009
Published: June 30th 2023
Edit Blog Post

PisaPisaPisa

The Baptistry, Duomo and Bell Tower
Pisa was somewhere that we really wanted to visit so we drove down there. It was then that we discovered that it was over 300km away, but we had kind of set our minds on, so we carried on regardless, albeit with the experience of the drive to the Dolomites (see Following The Exodus Back to Germany) still fresh in our minds. This drive went quite well, although the motorway meant missing the idyllic scenery of rural Tuscany.

Unlike when I was last here (see Pisa - The Leaning Tower and, errr...), it’s now possible to climb the tower, which we would love to have done. However, it was a five hour wait for the climb tour, so we reluctantly gave up on the idea, which was a massive disappointment.

Of course, and like every single other person who was there, we had a go at some photos of each of us with our arms up and the tower in the background, pretending we’re holding it up or pushing it over or both.

Whilst there we went on the Pisa Sight-seeing Tour. It was soon apparent that the only things to see is Pisa are the Leaning Tower and the nearby Baptistry and Duomo buildings. This tour really struggled
Leaning Tower of PisaLeaning Tower of PisaLeaning Tower of Pisa

The tower and nearby statue.
to fill the hour that it took and we spent a lot of time out in some park and horse-racing track outside of the town.

What must be seen to be believed in Pisa is the quality of the gifts that are on sale outside. Think of the tackiest excuse for a Leaning Tower inspired piece of hideous crap that you can possibly imagine and you might be able to come close. A plastic tower that’s covered in glitter is particularly hideous and has really brought down the tone of our lounge.

We went to another town by the lake called Bardolino for the evening. This was also very popular with the Germans and we seemed to be the only British people there.


Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


Advertisement

Pisa Architecture StylePisa Architecture Style
Pisa Architecture Style

A close-up of the tower and the Duomo.
River ArnoRiver Arno
River Arno

Other parts of Pisa during our bus tour.


Tot: 0.069s; Tpl: 0.011s; cc: 14; qc: 25; dbt: 0.0342s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb