Pisa - The Leaning Tower and, errr...


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Tuscany » Pisa
August 7th 1990
Published: October 22nd 2010
Edit Blog Post

The train to Pisa was only an hour or so from Florence so I was able to go there for an afternoon and then go back and take advantage of the free campsite again.

Once there I needed to get a bus to where the leaning tower was. No problems working out which bus to get, just follow the crowds.

Pisa only has its one tourist attraction, but there were enough people there to fill an entire city. Getting a glance at the tower was next to impossible, let alone a photograph that didn’t have the back of someone’s head in. I persisted. There were also a couple of large church buildings on the same site, which were worth looking round, and were in the same style as the tower.

Someone who had been inter-railing a couple of years previously had told me about when they went to the top of the tower and what a hairy experience it was. Unfortunately, the tower was now leaning so far that it was just too dangerous.

Outside were some stalls selling little models of the tower. I have to say that I have never seen anything so tacky in
PisaPisaPisa

The other buildings near the leaning tower
all my life: little towers covered in glitter. The only people tasteless enough to go anywhere near them was a large group of Americans, wearing the usual hideous clothes and baseball caps.

I came back to Pisa several years later during a holiday to Lake Garda.


Additional photos below
Photos: 3, Displayed: 3


Advertisement

PisaPisa
Pisa

The other buildings near the leaning tower


Tot: 0.208s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 22; qc: 77; dbt: 0.1426s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.2mb