A walk around Palermo


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Palermo
September 4th 2010
Published: June 22nd 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.1157, 13.3612

Helen wanted to walk thro the street markets which we did but they are disappointing- too much basic rubbish- watches CDs etc. It is however good to wander around the back streets and even though some of the buildings are in need of repair it is all still very clean. It is also a safe city. Down by the front there are several restaurants, but one near the Porta Felice the rest de pesce I think is good cheap and does a lovely spaghetti marinara. We went there twice.We also visited the Regional Sicily Museum on Via Alloro nearby which I enjoyed, but be warned it is full of madonna col bambinos and other religious paintings but is well laid out. There are lots of piazzas and elegant buildings such as the Teatro Massimo, at which there are operas during the season.
One of the most hilarious ways to while away the time is to have a beer in the piazza san domenico and watch the antics of people and cars. We saw yet another motorcycle accident and also what happened when someone double parks and walks off leaving the hapless driver to hoot his horn in hope. The comings and goings were fascinating and really worthwhile entertainment.
An excellent restaurant for dinner is Bellotero on via G.Castriota but you really have to book and it is closed on Mondays. Less pricey is the Diego pizzeria on Via Enrico Albanese which is great on a Sunday- really buzzing and packed and excellent food. We had to admit that the food we had in Sicily was the best we have had in Italy- but you have to love fish and seafood.


Additional photos below
Photos: 17, Displayed: 17


Advertisement



Tot: 0.361s; Tpl: 0.021s; cc: 6; qc: 24; dbt: 0.3302s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb