Sicily is amazing - it is like India in Europe!


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Palermo
October 14th 2021
Published: February 4th 2022
Edit Blog Post

It is long ago that you have read from us. But we used the situation in the world to first take intensive care of our company. And then we took the chance to explore more our own country where we live in. So, just be the end of last year we finally hopped on a flight again since a loooong time and charged our batteries in Siciliy, the amazing island in the south of Italy.

If you want to get more infos about Switzerland, if you want to see some off-the-beaten-path experiences in Switzerland we warmly invite you to subscribe to our brandnew youtube-chanel . Here we have weekly vlogs about our live in Switzerland: places we visit, practical things you need to know living/traveling in Switzerland and much more coming up in the next months. We started making videos during the lockdown - and to be honest, we enjoy making them immensely. And Markus is even becoming a real pro in flying the drone! We enjoy it so much, we started this youtube-chanel.

But now back to our trip to Sicily:
To enter Sicily a simple quick test was necessary which we did in Switzerland before boarding the plane. And no-one wanted to see this test every - not even when we boarded the train. By the way, the same happend on our way back a week later.

So from Basel we flew to Catania whre we spend 4 nights directly on the coast. How wonderful it was to be by the sea again. For nearly 2 years we had no sea breeze. Well, while living in Switzerland in one of the most beautiful surroundings in the world (we cannot complain), we definitely have no sea. We love our lake view and the mountain breeze, but a sea breeze in between is really something else.

From Catania we visited many, many spiritual places. Well, this was why we came here. We went to many, many wonderful churches and sanctuaries, hear stories of amazing saints. One of the was the story of the marthyr Saint Agata in Catania itself. We enjoyed the lively city of Catania a lot. From Catania we went, of course, to the Etna. Here we visited a cave - a cave where the Madonna della Sciara was burried underneath a flow of lava. The lava stopped flowing where the statue stood. till nowadays you can walk into the cave and see the imprint of the head of the Madonna in the lava field. It was a very special place. In general, the landscape around Mount Etna is amazing. But from time to time the villages around the mountain are covered with black ash as the vulcano is non-stop active.

Further on, we visited Messina. Messina is an important transit town. Here the boats and ferries leave for mainland Italy. From history till now, this fact makes Messina a city with an interesting cultural mixture. We visited the old town and enjoyed the views over to Calabria on mainland Italy. Also from Catania we went to Syracus. What a picturesque town! The old town with its alleys is simply stunning. This place shows what your kitchy italian fantasies are. Amazing churches and the huge sanctuary of the Madonna delle Lacrime (Madonna of the tears) were not to be missed!

The second half of the trip we based ourselves on the north coast of Sicily near the town of Termini Immerese, directly at the sea again. From here we visited Palermo. And man, how much did we like this city! It is bustling, it is chaotic and it really has this dangerous mafia vibe! We fell in love with this city. And also the surroundings are amazing. What we highly can recommend is a visit to the Monastry of Saint Benedict the Moor. He was the first black saint. And his monastery is an oasis of peace and love. It is simple, but really heartouching. And, of course a visit to the majestic cathedral of Monreale with stunning views over Palermo is a must. Unfortunately on the day we visited, it was rainy. But, nevertheless a gorgeous place.

What we enjoyed most in this region was a visit to the sanctuary of Tindari and the Black Madonna. Its location has wheeping views over the Liparian Sea. Check out the beaches around here. They are stunning. And, yes, not to forget a detour into the mountains of Siciliy. No matter where you go - the villages are so lovely here. Nature is amazing and around each corner you find a stunning church with a saint and an amazing story about what this saint made. We made a detour to Agira and to Alcara li fusi. Remote villages - but this is the core of Sicily.

But 7 days pass quickly. We thouroughly enjoyed Sicily and want to come back again, not only for all the beautiful saintly places but also for some beach time and some dolce vita with lots of amazing food, yummy ice creams and coffee on the piazzas. Sicily surprised us in many ways - and it was not even on our bucket list. But it definitely should be on everybody's list.





So, don't forget to check out our videos . See you soon and stay safe and healthy!


Additional photos below
Photos: 54, Displayed: 25


Advertisement



4th February 2022

Sicily
We enjoyed hearing your impressions of Sicily as we will be visiting there in May. We can't wait. We will have two weeks to explore. We will check out your YouTube. We are happy you are traveling once again. Keep in touch. MJ
4th February 2022

Sicily
Oh that is great news. You will love Sicily. Looking forward to read your blog.
5th February 2022

Back on the road again
Dave here....Great to see you out and about! We plan to visit Sicily this spring and are looking forward to it.
5th February 2022

Sicily
We are curious to read about your trip to Sicily - enjoy!
9th February 2022
church of Agira

Emma's been to Sicily, I haven't
Emma visited Sicily many years ago. I never have but I want to of course. I know that I would enjoy going there. Thanks for blogging from there to give me an idea of what there is to see there. /Ake
9th February 2022
church of Agira

Sicily
Oh yes, it is worth going there, even a second time for Emma. I feel that we only touched the surface of what there is to see and do on this big island. Happy travels!
20th March 2022

Travelling Again
Yay! Great to see you both travelling again ? Sicily looks beautiful, and real great to see you've found somewhere in Europe which is like India! Ah, I imagine being landlocked in Switzerland you would have missed the sea air these last two years. Wonderful that you've been able to explore so many coastal landscapes now, along with beautiful, peaceful and spiritual places ?
20th March 2022

Sea breeze
Oh yes, having a sea breeze again felt soooo good. We cannot complain that we have been locked into Switzerland. For us, it was a good time being always healthy. Business was growing and we could do many things we normally did not do. That was also amazing. But it is also great to be travelling again and refresh the mind differently. Finally, it is all about the right balance. :-)

Tot: 0.553s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 48; qc: 169; dbt: 0.3127s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.6mb