At sea and confined to quarters

Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sicily » Messina
May 8th 2013
Published: June 26th 2017
Edit Blog Post

Geo: 38.1922, 15.5566

May 7th was an at sea day as we cruised from Piraeus to Messina. I caught up with mundane chores like undie washing. However, at 2pm we attended a Premium Wine Tasting in the Pinnacle bar. We started with a Moet and Chandon sparkling which was very nice and then were given a French Chablis and a Californian Chardonnay. Surprisingly, the Chardonnay was far superior with more flavour and freshness. We then had two Reds, a French Pinot Noir and a Californian Cab Sav. Both were excellent. Fernando, the Sommelier on board took us through the wines commenting on colour, flavour etc We also had small portions of food to see which went best with each wine. The finish was a 6 grapes Port. A pleasant hour or so spent tasting nice wine.

At 6pm we attended a small gathering of the Adelaideans who had booked through Phil Hoffman travel. Our hostess Lynette had done this from time to time. This time the Captain and his wife dropped in for a short time and we managed to grab a photo. At 7pm it was time for the Quiz. We met with our Quiz partners, Tully and Linda and this time we blitzed it gettin all questions right for a perfect score. The prize is non existent, it is the honour and the glory we enjoy. After a very nice dinner with good company we went to the BB King Blues Club. The band here is fantastic. We have enjoyed a G&T and their music several times during the cruise. It was the best entertainment on board.

May 8th
At 2-15am I woke feeling ill and proceeded to deposit said dinner into the loo. Then from 4am I was on the trot. We had heard that despite the excessive use of hand gel cleaners a bout of gastro was going round the ship. I went to the Medical Centre and got tablets but that meant I was not allowed out of my cabin for the next 24 hours at least!! It was OK for the first half of the day because I wasn't feeling well and had to take four tablets to stop the runs. Fletcher went off on the tour we had booked to Tindari, a inland town containing Graeco-Roman ruins. There was no point in our both missing out. When he returned about 1pm I was feeling better but had to stay in isolation. Needless to say the rest of the day went slowly!! Fletcher went out in the afternoon for a quick look around the town but said there was nothing really exciting about the city. My only views of Messina were what I could see from my balcony and the sail away as we headed through the straits of Messina. Disappointing!! They came and sanitized our room twice! Not sure how that was going to stop the spread of the bug!! Gave up and went to sleep about 10pm.

Additional photos below
Photos: 4, Displayed: 4


The statue of Our Lady of the letter in Messina The statue of Our Lady of the letter in Messina
The statue of Our Lady of the letter in Messina

My main view of Messina from my balcony

Tot: 0.036s; Tpl: 0.016s; cc: 11; qc: 33; dbt: 0.0092s; 1; m:saturn w:www (; sld: 1; ; mem: 1.3mb