Sardinia


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Sardinia » Cagliari
September 14th 2012
Published: September 16th 2012
Edit Blog Post

CagliariCagliariCagliari

Batman
Sardinia

The weather today is perfect, 72 degrees with a fresh breeze and no humidity. We docked in Cagliari, waited for the early rush ashore to end and hopped a bus to the Castello area of the city. It dropped us off near the Cittadella dei Musei, a museum complex that is home to the National Picture Gallery, the Narional Archeological Museum and Communal Arts Gallery and the Regional Ethnographic Museum. All were closed. Bummer! This is the highest part of the town and there are still some of the old walls left. The views from here were wonderful. What was supposed to be a hop-on-hop-off bus never made its appearance so we left the bewildered and disgruntled tourists and decided to walk back to the port.

I love looking at the old buildings, most kept up so beautifully and still home to families. We checked out the doggies out on leashes, found Batman on a photo shoot, enjoyed the stunning views and even visited a couple of stores. We wandered down narrow roads only wide enough for a smart car and us. Washing hangs from the windows and the smell of cooking sets my mouth watering. I peek
CagliariCagliariCagliari

Puppies
in the open doorways and see a woodworker putting together a frame and an artist at her easel.

By now it was getting warmer and we had been walking for a couple of hours so it was time to get back to the ship. After a couple of false moves we made it to the shuttle bus that took us right to the gangway. Headed to the pool for a refreshing dip, and it was REFRESHING! Met Angela and Les and had a great conversation. We all agreed that Sardinia was a great port of call and we’re not at all sorry to have missed Tunisia.

The view of the city from the ship is beautiful so while I sat in the Crow’s Nest, Joe went on deck to take some amazing pictures. Unfortunately the battery died and he didn’t get any. We’ll just have to come back.

Approaching a port from the sea is so much better than by air, IMHO. You have time to enjoy the various aspects of the town and even get your bearings before going ashore. Monte Carlo, Portofino, Palermo and Cagliari are picture perfect from the sea. The yachts of Monte Carlo and the Hotel Paris, the pastel buildings and lush green backdrop of Portofino, Mount Pellegrino providing the backdrop for Palermo and the beautiful layers of picture perfect buildings climbing the hill from the port to the Castello of Cagliari are imprinted on my brain. Tomorrow is a sea day and our anniversary.

Advertisement



Tot: 0.378s; Tpl: 0.022s; cc: 14; qc: 29; dbt: 0.3369s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb