Jet lag and Hailstorm in Milano


Advertisement
Italy's flag
Europe » Italy » Lombardy » Milan
August 11th 2017
Published: August 11th 2017
Edit Blog Post

To stave off jet lag and stay awake past 12.15pm we went to Musee Duomo yesterday which was a real bonus. It is dedicated to ALL things Duomo and we mean ALL. There was so much “stuff” associated with the Duomo and it’s construction and decoration including a wooden model, statues of every saint you could ever imagine (either models of the existing ones or ones that have been removed and replaced), tapestries, crosses, chalices, candle sticks and on and on. Some of the statues were huge and others “only” one metre high - tiny when compared to the magnitude of the Duomo. Fascinating. We will revisit the Duomo on a walking tour tomorrow.

Last time we were in Milano we did not confess to the time we went to bed so the tradition shall continue. All we will say is the pizza and gelato for dinner didn't keep us awake.

Just so you know, it isn't always sunny and warm on holidays and today was that day!! While on the hop on hop off bus we experienced a drop in temperature of about 10 degrees then the skies opened and rain and hail followed!! This was one occasion when Mike’s “cautious”, rather than Ann’s optimistic, tendencies paid off as we had moved from the top to the bottom just a few minutes before. There were 3 different routes in and around Milano which gave us a good, brief overview of some of the history and main features of this far from boring city. The third tour went out as far as the San Siro Stadium, home of both Milanese football teams. Mike is now a fan of AC Milan as their colours are black and red.

Off shortly to meet our fellow travellers for the next nine days.

Ciao!!


Additional photos below
Photos: 7, Displayed: 7


Advertisement

Needle and ThreadNeedle and Thread
Needle and Thread

This sculpture is in front of Milano Centrale railway station and is a metaphor of a train going through a tunnel and is a tribute to the fashion industry.


12th August 2017

Milan
Thanks for the great photos and travelogue. It is obvious that you are having a wonderful and interesting time. The Duomo sounds amazing...we look forward to seeing it ourselves one day!

Tot: 0.072s; Tpl: 0.009s; cc: 5; qc: 44; dbt: 0.0482s; 1; m:domysql w:travelblog (10.17.0.13); sld: 1; ; mem: 1.1mb